Uwharrie Gun Range

Bridgeman

Anybody know if the range is open or will ever open again?

The plan is to move the shooting range to another site. They are studying optional sites at this time so it could still be awhile.

The Sawmill Trail is being relocated due to an archaeological site so it was going to happen at some point regardless. I think the shooting range could take awhile. If they did decide on another site there is still the time and cost of moving the existing facilities (what portions can be moved) and then they have to factor in the cost of cleaning up the existing site... lead in the soil.

I know this post is a bit old, but if they are going to move it anyway, wouldn't the current range make a nice area for a rock garden? It would be even better if it would connect to the trails so unlicensed vehicles could get to it as well.

Since Saw-Mill is getting re-routed away from the shooting range anyway due to the arch sites I hope Deborah Walker and the others will consider leaving it where it is. The risk of people getting hurt on the trail drops drastically without Saw-Mill being there anymore. But if they do decide to move it, I hope they would allow us to re-use it in some shape or form for the OHV community.

Back