Uwharrie Off Road Training Center

J.C.

Volunteer
I know I'm kinda biased, being a good friend of Scott Fields, but I just had to give a big thumbs up to UORTC!

Last Saturday, September 15, 2012, I took UORTC's beginner off road class, 4wd 101. Admitedly I wanted to help Scott out in his new buisness endeavour but I was not prepared for the professionalism and depth of the class!

The class consisted of 7 students taught by 2 UORTC instructors. The class had 4 newish JKs and a Toyota truck. The class is a FULL day of instruction. Lead instructor Ben Covington handled the morning session which consisted of a Power Point presentation that covered basic 4wd information and hands on driving instruction on the school's training obstacles.

Lunch was catered by The Eldorado Outpost and then we got a little more seat time on the training loop and instruction from Scott and Ben on the larger obstacle course including failed hill ascents, water crossings and being spotted while crossing a log bridge. Granted the bridge is only 4 feet off the ground but its only 2 telephone poles wide for each tire!

After a hands on presentation on winch and recovery techniques we loaded up and headed out to the Uwharrie OHV trails to put our training into practice.

If you are fairly new to off roading I highly recommend this class. After taking it you will look like someone with 5 years experience on the trails. If you have been wheeling for awhile I guarantee that you will learn more than you expect to!

Each student recieves the Power Point presentation in a three ring binder for future reference, a graduation certificate, a nice sticker as a UORTC certified 4wd operator, a nifty ball point pen with LED light and a UORTC T shirt as well as the confidence, knowledge and skills to operate your 4wd vehicle in a safe and effecient manner on the street or on the trails!

If I had know you guys were there, I would have stopped in! I did the Uwharrie work day, aired up at the Outpost, & touted my horn as I passed, heading home.
I knew Scott was holding class, & didn't wont to interrupt. Saw a couple people wave, but couldn't recognize you.
Looks like I'm going to need a class, to keep up!:D

Back