Uwharrie OHV Lakeview Trail To Be Developed

LBarr2002

Add Gold Mine to the rotating list.

I hiked that with Scott Fields. While it would be great to get back, I never wheeled it, the hydrologist with us basically said it would be near impossible.

I never ran Gold Mine either. My first time up there was probably 2004-2005.

I miss Kodak and the double ledges on RM loop leading up to it. And when Dutch John had steps in it.

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
I hiked that with Scott Fields. While it would be great to get back, I never wheeled it, the hydrologist with us basically said it would be near impossible.
What is the story from the hydrologist? I thought I remembered hearing that Gold Mine was closed due to erosion/silt run off.

ghost

What is the story from the hydrologist? I thought I remembered hearing that Gold Mine was closed due to erosion/silt run off.
It's been a few years. But yes that is what I remember being discussed. Basically he pointed out areas and probable cost. I can't remember his name. He was into wheeling too which was nice.

snappy

YHDG's adopted son!!!
It's been a few years. But yes that is what I remember being discussed. Basically he pointed out areas and probable cost. I can't remember his name. He was into wheeling too which was nice.
Was it Flynt? I walked it with them both.

LBarr2002

Then forest service built a nice road through the woods. The Lakeview trail is better constructed and has better drainage than any gravel road currently in the forest, that is not any sort of "trail".
Is it open?

R Q

Last edited:

paradisePWoffrd

Recovering Project Junkie
I've seen paved state highways that were not that smooth. It will be interesting to see how long that lasts and how they "maintain" it.

Even so, I can see that there will be a few vehicles that end up down the hill off the side of the road.