Uwharrie Trail Work Day #15, July 16th

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I know the Forest Service had stuff on the "To Do List" marked as for July. To be honest a majority of the stuff marked for July including that culvert requires machinery. And it seems the general feeling of the group after the last "work weekend" is we need a light load workday to take a break. Light load meaning trash pickup, trail diamonds, etc.

Unless those planning on attending disagree we will head in the light load direction. I spent my day making phone calls and haven't heard back from Terry Savery or Deborah Walker. My goal was to have a better idea of what they expected out of July, and share our thoughts on July but that didn't work out. I will relay more information as I get it.

But for right now unless I hear differently from those attending on here we will plan for a light workday with trail riding afterwards.

Schedule is as always:

8AM - Breakfast at the Outpost
9AM - Hunt Camp Meeting
10AM - Begin Work
1PM-2PM - Break For Lunch
3PM + - Ride Trails

I have talked with a couple of people in the Forest Service and it seems they are leaning toward "light load" workdays for July and August. So if you are looking for more trail riding than hard labor these next 2 workdays are for you. We usually pickup trash, put up trail diamonds, and just have a good time helping out.

Here is Terry's e-mail about this upcoming workday:

Hi Everyone - For the July 16th work weekend we'll be having a low key work weekend. You won't need to meet with any Forest Service folks as none will be working that day due to fires and other budget and workload issues. In August & September we'll be working on finishing off the large list of things to do that was started in May and June. If your club was planning on coming up this weekend and doesn't know what there is to do on their adopted trail go to Janet's in Arrowhead Campground and get tools and trash bags. Digging out the tail ditches and picking up trash is something that needs to be done regularly and helps us out a lot. If you do come up to volunteer please remember to sign up with Janet so we can count your hours towards the RTP grant matching.

Again in August and September we'll get the right kind of equipment lined up and we'll focus more on specific things on the list so we don't try to do it all in one weekend. Thanks a lot everyone and have a great July. I'll see you in August. Bye - Terry

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests of North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371-9332

Jeep won't be fixed by this weekend, so I'll not be there. :( BUT it's getting fixed.:bounce2:

I have to work all weekend again.

I wish... just can't afford to miss work right now.

READY !

Just got my reinforceing tube, for my bent tie rod, at 4:30 today. Welded up, back on,, Jeep loaded on trailer. Be a good test for clearance. Meet U at the Hunt Camp, if not sooner.
IS THE ''HOT DOG GUY'' GOING TO BE THERE ?

Thanks D Raider, I'll bring a sandwich & drinks!

I always try to bring some snacks/drinks with to hold me over, because my back up plan if the HD King doesn't show I usually stop at the Outpost afterwards for a late lunch. But just in case he does I am going to bring some cash with (I usually just bring my bank card). Hopefully he can make it out.

Going to finish watching some Swamp Loggers then hit the sack so I can get up in 5 hours or so. Shooting to be there around 8AM for breakfast at the Outpost. :beer:

The workday went great. We had about the best weather you could ask for in the middle of July, if we had a bit more of a breeze it would have been perfect. It felt like it was maybe 80 degrees out tops. For it being a summer workday we had a big turn out, 10 people showed up (we have seen as few as 3 before in the summer when there usually aren't workdays anyway). A lot of work got done, and nearly every trail got hit for cleanup etc. I also was able to get a lot of trail inventory work accomplished and had a great time. Even met a person or two that might end up getting involved in the workdays based on a conversation we had. Big thanks to Dave for tagging along in his JK helping with trail inventory and trash pickup.

Thanks, Eli, Riley and I had a good time! It's kind of a toss up whether the pile of trash weighed more than the piles of dust in the back! I do know that trash was easier to clean out!!
David

Great time & weather !

I totally agree, the "noshows" don't know what they missed. I was also amazed, that the general riding Public, had a very low turn out; can't figure that one out! Several riders that passed Doyle, & myself, thanked us, for the clean up. The trails we were on seemed very clean, to start with. That's Great! We had a good, relaxing, time!! :popcorn:

Back