Will You Be Attending?

• YES

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
The 19th workday on November 19th. I don't know what the work load will be this workday, it all depends on what happens with the Saw Mill trail etc. We could end up doing trail diamonds and carsonite signs, or we could end up hitting the guard rail on RML. Or there could be an entirely different project list. Its the last workday of the regular season this year, the December workday will be during the off-season while the trails are closed.

SCHEDULE:
Breakfast @ Outpost : 8AM
Hunt Camp Meeting: 9AM
Lunch : Sometime between 1PM-3PM
Work Wrap Up: Sometime before 3:30PM

I'd like to get involved with this. Do you have any details of what I'd need to bring with?
my rig, tools, etc.?

Sorry for my delayed reply, was at URE over the weekend. We did a workday and then I had a tie rod come apart on the Hill Climb at 1am etc etc. So anyway...

Usually for a regular light load workday just yourself and your rig is usually all you have to bring. For the heavier work tools ranging from post hole diggers, to shovels, hammers, rock bars, impact tools, etc can be used. It just depends on what we will be doing. The Forest Service supplies some tools but it doesn't hurt to have some of your own, especially the basics like hammers etc.

Beyond work tools, your self and your rig, anything you would usually bring on a wheeling trips (parts/spares/etc) would be a good idea of course. Also if the Hot Dog Guy is there bringing cash is key if you want to get lunch at the Double Parklinglot (our usual spot).

If you have any more questions feel free to let me know. :beer:

I dunno if'n I'll make this one.

Can i get alittle more info i got 3 more people that want to go

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask away. If you are specifically wanting to know more about the work load planned, I am waiting to hear back from Terry Savery on that. :beer:

The last two times I've been there, Falls Dam has a LOT of spiderwebbing on the hills where ATVs have made a mess.

The last two times I've been there, Falls Dam has a LOT of spiderwebbing on the hills where ATVs have made a mess.

And just think over the last two years we have put up over 30 pieces of guard rail on that trail. Pretty soon the entire trail will be lined with guard rail.

And just think over the last two years we have put up over 30 pieces of guard rail on that trail. Pretty soon the entire trail will be lined with guard rail.

I know some don't agree with me but if it has to be done to keep them open so the ones that don't go off trail can enjoy the Forest then I say so be it!

I know some don't agree with me but if it has to be done to keep them open so the ones that don't go off trail can enjoy the Forest then I say so be it!

Yeah it is what it is. We are less than a week out from the workday and still no word from the FS. I will make some additional phone calls tomorrow, and hopefully get some news posted up.:driver:

Got the workday e-mail today:

Hi Richard, Randal & Eli - Please let me know if you have folks planning on coming this weekend and if Greg Horton was planning on coming with his tractor and auger? The reason I ask is I'm only planning on a few small projects for 2 to 3 groups to work on. One project is on Slab Pile Trail where Eli & CFSJC worked with Drew a couple months back to armor a stream crossing. We need to reshape the crossing a bit better so it drains better and then we need to put up about 4 long pieces of guardrail to keep people from driving around the crossing. So if CNC will be there with their own auger that will help me. The 2nd project would be the installation of split rail fencing on Dutch John Trail in a couple of locations. The split rail fencing is already stacked on the trail but needs to be moved to the new locations. The 3rd project would be on Dutch John Trail and it would be resetting the guardrail that was installed in September when the augers broke. We have purchased 2 new hand augers so if CNC will have Greg there with his tractor and auger then the other groups would have augers to fix the guardrail and to install the split rail. I'm sorry I haven't sent an email out but I was in Asheville all last week working on Forest Planning and trail stuff and I wasn't able to get an email out to you guys.

Pete & Drew - Please verify that you two would be available to work this upcoming Saturday, November 19th with the OHV clubs. Also, would we be able to use the Kubota tractor on Saturday for the Slab Pile Trail?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Bye - Terry

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)

District Recreation Staff Supervisor

National Forests in North Carolina

Uwharrie National Forest

789 NC Hwy 24/27 East

Troy, NC 27371-9332

I replied to Terry Savery's e-mail and here is the part of her response regarding this workday:

Hi Eli - Plan on meeting Drew & Melissa at 9 am on Saturday at the Hunt Camp. Today Pete & Drew worked on the crossing to reshape it and to get it to drain that is at site #2 on the attached list. CNC 4x4 will be there on Saturday so we'll have them work on getting rock from the trails and bring it to the crossing. They can get a lot of rock from Wolf Den Trail and then they can put in the guardrail. I'll have your group work on fixing the guardrail on Dutch John Trail at site #11 and moving the split rail fencing that's stacked up at site #11 down to site #18.

Sorry cant make this one WILL make the DEC one!:beer:

Back