Uwharrie Trail Work Day #20, February 25th

Will You Be Attending?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Its time for the 1st workday of 2012. This will be an off-season workday and we will have the Bobcat out for this one. We will be renting an Auger plus a 4in1 Bucket so there will be guard rail to install plus some other projects to tackle. I will have more specifics when Terry Savery gets the workday e-mail out. Since the trails will be closed we will be the only ones out there, a rare opportunity to wheel on the trails while they are closed.:driver:

Schedule Per Usual:

8AM : Breakfast at the Outpost
9AM : Meetup at Hunt Camp
Sometime after 1PM: LUNCH
Sometime after 3PM: Wrap up work

An update on the workday. This will actually be a work weekend for anyone interested in getting an extra 5+ hours on the trails. The plan is to have the Bobcat up there Friday morning and get some extra work done. This allows us to get a head start on the Saturday work load, and it ensures we get our full 8 hours of use out of the Bobcat.

You get to wheel on the trails while no one else (not even most volunteers) is on them and you get free camping overnight if you stay for Saturday also. I think that is good reason to cut out early/request of work on a Friday.:beer:

Plan on attending..might be bringging some help from my shop here on Shaw that have never been to URE and are new to the area. Ill eb confirming hopefully by Tuesday the 14th.

I'm new to the site and new to NC. I will be attending and bringing my brother along, is there anything that we need to bring?

The usual food, drinks, boots/outdoor work clothing, in addition to any handtools such as post hole diggers, tamping bars, ratchets, large sockets. shovels etc. there will be some tools provided by the forest service but it never hurts to bring some.

The usual food, drinks, boots/outdoor work clothing, in addition to any handtools such as post hole diggers, tamping bars, ratchets, large sockets. shovels etc. there will be some tools provided by the forest service but it never hurts to bring some.

My little brother thats going to be taging along with me on this trip is a licenced surveyor in NC, and other states as well, and I was wondering if it would be worthwile for me to try to con him in to making some "Survey" quality maps of the trails? If this would be something that would be frowned upon by the UFS or something that would be benificial to the OHV park and help keep it open or maybe help get more trails open.

I will try and make this but with all I have going on right now it is a maybe at best.

Will be there also, just for Saturday though. Do we know yet which trails we are trying to consentrate on yet ?

My little brother thats going to be taging along with me on this trip is a licenced surveyor in NC, and other states as well, and I was wondering if it would be worthwile for me to try to con him in to making some "Survey" quality maps of the trails? If this would be something that would be frowned upon by the UFS or something that would be benificial to the OHV park and help keep it open or maybe help get more trails open.

Sorry for the delayed reply, been recouping from the trail hike at URE this past Saturday. Any maps you can get him to make would be great. Half the battle of getting trails re-opened and learning about the old trail system is information. And maps are a big part of that, the more maps we have the better.

Will be there also, just for Saturday though. Do we know yet which trails we are trying to consentrate on yet ?

I do know for sure we will be installing guard rail on RML on the upper end of the loop after the Saw Mill entrance. Its the main part of the descent that has a long bypass going down it. Its actually used so much, it can be confusing which is the main trail and which is the bypass if you don't know the trails. So we will be using the Bobcat with the Auger to get that done.

The other project Terry talked to me about was removing more log bridges and converting them to hard packed/armored crossings (RML and Dutch John have the most corduroy bridges). We will be using the Bobcat on that also with the 4in1 Bucket that we are getting for it. The big question is what projects will we get done on Friday, and what will be left over to do Saturday. And beyond that how many people showing up will dictate how many projects we can tackle. Considering the addition bodies it takes to install the guard rail I have a feeling that will be done Saturday.

The official workday e-mail usually doesn't come out until the workday is a week or less out. So I probably won't know for sure until then. I will be talking with Terry before then, and if she does share any additional information I will get it up here also.

Gonna have to miss another one Eli. gotta drive the wife to South Carolina for a Horse event. I think she knows when the work days are and is plotting against me. You all have fun.

Sorry to hear you can't make it. Maybe you can talk her into coming out and riding horses while you are working on the trails? It's a win win, lol.:driver:

Trying to drum up some more people from ONSC.

The more people we can get out there the better!

Ran into Deezul up there yesterday on his way out to look at some stuff out there. Passes still not out yet at the Eldorado.

Ran into Deezul up there yesterday on his way out to look at some stuff out there. Passes still not out yet at the Eldorado.

I got to talk to him (Bruce) and Scott last weekend during our trail hike. Doesn't surprise me the trail passes aren't out yet. That does remind me I still need to send Janet Becker the money for my yearly pass that she picks up for me. :driver:

If i could only buy number one from her one year.

If you need someone else for a hike let me know. Love hiking up there.

If i could only buy number one from her one year.
If you need someone else for a hike let me know. Love hiking up there.

I get number 0004, I could only dream of getting 0001 heh. Just keep an eye out for the next hike thread, we will definitely be doing another if not before the trails open, shortly after they open. :driver:

Are there going to be any other women coming out for the day?

I am thinking that I will be able to come at this point. I also want to take some pictures, and of course I do plan on working.

sandy

Hey I got 13 and, well, that year was interesting, I think I want to try for 13 again, to try to break that spell.

Back