Uwharrie Trail Work Day #21, March 17th

Will you be Attending?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
This will be the last off-season workday for 2012, hopefully we will have another very productive workday like the last one we just had in February. I know there are plans to rent a Bobcat again, so we are more than likely looking at a heavy work load again this month. I know there is still split rail fence to install on Dutch John, but I don't know of any sites for guard rail left on the "to do" list from last June. I do know Terry Savery did mention doing some log bridge removal and replacing those with hard pack/armored crossings. This may be on the agenda for March. As I get more information I will post it here. That includes any information on it possibly being another Friday and Saturday workday.

Saturday Schedule:

8AM: Breakfast at the Outpost. Look for us at the back of the building near the fire place.
9AM: Forest Service meet at Hunt Camp
1PM + : Lunch
3PM + : Wrap up Work

Me and the better half will be there again. Trying to get more of our club there also. Would like to work on our trail if work is needed on it though.

I plan on being at this one. If we are looking to do the stream crossing I would like to help there, but thats only if we have all the supplies and materials in place for it.

is anyone welcome to come help out? new to 4wheeling never been to ure but plan on going some this year. would like to come meet some people and lend a hand.

is anyone welcome to come help out? new to 4wheeling never been to ure but plan on going some this year. would like to come meet some people and lend a hand.

Everyone and anyone is more than welcome to come help out. Its a great way to meet people in the community, and see the trails when no one else is out there. :driver:

Scott wanted me to remind those that are interested in the Jamboree that after the workday at 4pm there will be a premeeting for the volunteers. I will also remind people on the workday.

Scott wanted me to remind those that are interested in the Jamboree that after the workday at 4pm there will be a premeeting for the volunteers. I will also remind people on the workday.
x2 Thanks!

Here is a visual on how the stream crossing is to be done but with more stone at least to the diversion
ai221.photobucket.com_albums_dd257_K0045_Misc_streamcrossing.jpg

Here is the work related information from the Workday E-Mail:

I will have the areas flagged and you'll be concentrating on finishing work on the Dutch John Trail that we started last summer. Additionally, we'll need a small group that can sign Slab Pile Trail with its new number of 79 and Dickey Bell Trail with its new number of 91.

The overall work you'll be doing on Dutch John Trail is repairing corduroy log crossings, installing guardrail to block an illegal bypass and installing split rail fencing to stop folks from driving off trail to camp in one area. We have parking off trail for folks and they can walk 20 to 100 ft to disperse camp off of the trail but they have taken part of the fencing down and are driving back there.

Eli will be getting up on the Uwharrie NF on Friday with the Bobcat between 10 & 11 am. If any of you can volunteer on Friday please let Eli and Drew & Pete know. Drew & De will be working with you on Friday. On you'll work on transporting & staging the guardrail, posts, split rail fencing & corduroy logs in place so we can have as much in place as possible so things can go smoothly on Saturday.

I don't think we will be doing any rock armoring projects, instead we will be repairing log crossings. I am wondering where this section of guard rail is that needs to be installed. If its between the switch back and the hill climb we are going to have to get hand augers together. We will see I guess.

I will be there on my atv. I can do trail numbering again. My buddy and I did Sawmill & part of Slab Pile on the last work day. It was pretty easy on the atv's. If anyone wants to help let me know I can bring two extra atv's and helmets. See Ya there.

I'm going to try to make it out there as well this weekend, it is a bit of a ride but well worth it. I've been going to Uwharrie since I was 16 and would really like to give back to the place that I've grown up at. Plus I'd really like to get away from base for a day or two. If nothing unforeseen comes up I will be there.

My husband Joe and our two older kids will be there. His xj is stock at this point (been a busy winter.) so he will need to stay on the trails meant for crappy beater jeeps lol. Thanks!

My husband Joe and our two older kids will be there. His xj is stock at this point (been a busy winter.) so he will need to stay on the trails meant for crappy beater jeeps lol. Thanks!

The big question is does he know that? :D he will be fine.

oh yeah he knows - really looking forward to it. He was pretty big into the NAXJA chapter in our area near colorado springs, co so we have wheeled a lot in the mountains of Colorado. This is his newest project xj and hasn't started on modifying it yet so he's a little wary about what he will be on trailwise in Uwharrie. I get the luxury of hanging at the campground with our two younger kids Ha! Think I would rather be jeeping.

Sorry I missed this post, I was at URE yesterday doing a "pre-workday" and had some other things to take care of. Didn't get back in till after midnight. I don't think there will be a need to bring many tools, mainly a post hole digger or if your vehicle has it a winch for the log bridge(s) if they get worked on.

Yep, brought both and only used the post hole digger.

Got alot done again today.

And a nice surprise from Debra.

Lucky You Eli and I was talking how the NC4x4 got passed over on the surprise.

Just got back home and it was a good day. we accomplish everything we aim to get done, and no one got hurt and everyone seem to be in good spirits when we finish. Can not ask for much more. Thanks everyone.

Back