Uwharrie Trail Workday #23, May 19th

Will you be Attending?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
This is planned to be a heavy workload day with the help of Bobcat equipment to make the guard rail install go a little smoothly and remove the factor of the beating you get from the hand augers. I don't have a project list, but guard rail install on Falls Dam is on the list, and as Terry Savery does trail inventory and adds projects I will update on here.

Schedule:
8AM: BREAKFAST @ OUTPOST (We usually sit in the back near the fireplace)
9AM: MEET @ HUNTCAMP
1PM + : LUNCH
3PM + : WRAP UP WORK

Seeing we are renting a Bobcat for this workday we will also be doing a pre-workday Friday afternoon so we get our monies worth out of the Bobcat. If you would like to help out Friday it would be a big help also.

Lastly don't forget this workday we will be giving away another $50 4 Wheel Parts Gift Card. And keep in mind every entry for the gift card also goes toward the Winch that will be given away opening weekend at the Jamboree next year. The more you volunteer the more chances you have of winning the winch.

I found out I have a scheduling conflict and will not be able to make it out this month and will be out of the country next month.

Well I am planning on being down there around 4 or 5pm friday and camping either at hunt camp or out at falls dam... Never been to a workday but I'd be willing to help out for a while saturday or sunday. Just cant get to physical due to a sprain.

I am gonna try my derndest to be at this one but might be on light duty still. Just had surgery and do not want to bust any of the stitches inside my nose.

We can use all the people we can get, even if they are on light duty every person counts. Here is the workday e-mail from Terry Savery:

Hi Everyone – How are you all doing? It has been a busy spring and it has been quite warm. We appreciate the hard work you’ve all done for us this year and I hope you’re available and ready to help out on May 19th too. We had 2 new culverts installed on Rocky Mountain Loop Trail and unfortunately some folks are riding around them and into the streams or cutting through the woods instead of staying on the trails. We also have a hill climb starting on Falls Dam Trail near the Flatwoods TH. Those will be our bigger projects for this work weekend.

On May 19th weekend we will be installing guardrail on Falls Dam Trail to block this hill climb. It’s about a 100 ft. section. And for one of the culverts we’ll be installing some guardrail too to keep folks on the trail. If you are chainsaw certified please let me know if you’ll be coming to this work weekend and if you’ll need any equipment or if you’ll have all of your equipment with you. There are a couple of bypasses that are just starting out & I can have a couple of folks with chainsaws & winches help block them off with slash and down wood then I’m hoping we won’t have to get to the guardrail stage. I will have the sites flagged and number for the different crews to work on.

Eli has lined up the Bobcat again and we’ll be using that for the guardrail projects on Rocky Mountain Loop & Falls Dam Trails. We’ll meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am on Saturday, May 19th. I’ll have day passes for those who’ll need them. If you need a camp site please let me know.

Please let me know if your club will be coming up and if you know about how many folks you’ll have for that day.

Rodney, Pete, Drew, Kelly, Jeff & Deborah – Can you please let me know if you will be available to work on this work weekend. I know some of you already have plans that you won’t be here but can you send me an email with a yes or no so I’ll have my list handy to help me organize our work. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Bye - Terry

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests in North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371-9332

Eli got me the Bobcat for the day, too cool man. :D :D:gitrdun:

Just kidding man. Good to bring it again though as we know what it is like trying to get that stuff in the ground.

Trying to bring a few of us from our group up there again this time. Key wording being "trying".

Basement got flooded this week so I will be working down there, work safe everyone.

Was up there yesterday using the Bobcat to clear some tail ditches and fill in a water hole off the side of the trail, was happy with what I got done for a short "prep day". I am about to leave here and will see everyone up there. We are looking at a quite low key workday even with the guardrail install. We don't have that many spots to install in, so with the right people + Bobcat it should be a fun workday.

Big shout out to ONSC for doing the work today.

Can add a bobcat to my winching history with this winch. That was some slick stuff though.

And who won the card this time ? Or did we forget about it ?

Big shout out to ONSC for doing the work today.

Can add a bobcat to my winching history with this winch. That was some slick stuff though.

And who won the card this time ? Or did we forget about it ?

With my leg messed up from the Bobcat, the workday going much longer than expected, and running on limited sleep I didn't even remember the card. My focus was getting home, letting my leg rest, and getting some sleep. When I finally woke up today is when I remembered about the card. What we will do is put a list of the attendees together and then draw a name that way, and I guess mail the card to them.

101_3005.jpg
101_3006.jpg
101_3008.jpg
101_3009.jpg
101_3010.jpg
101_3011.jpg
101_3012.jpg
101_3013.jpg
101_3014.jpg
101_3015.jpg
101_3005.jpg

With my leg messed up from the Bobcat, the workday going much longer than expected, and running on limited sleep I didn't even remember the card. My focus was getting home, letting my leg rest, and getting some sleep. When I finally woke up today is when I remembered about the card. What we will do is put a list of the attendees together and then draw a name that way, and I guess mail the card to them.

Eli - I hope the rest did your leg some good. Although the Bobcat could be blamed for messing it up, I wouldn't have wanted to spent the day without it. I wonder how many of those pins that hold the bit in place the rental place has seen broken before.

Darin - Thanks for your hard work, vision and leadership out there on Saturday. You were instrumental in us getting all that guardrail in.

Wife said i was to much of a Drill SGT, but no one said anything so i continued on. If i am too incharge out there someone needs to say something.

Sorry I haven't been able to make a detailed reply until now, I have been working like crazy since the workday.

First off I wanted to say a big thanks to everyone that showed up, and if I am not mistaken that would be all the cruiser guys from ONSC. If it weren't for you guys it would have just been me and the Forest Service (Drew and Terry). Also another big thanks to everyone that helped with the Bobcat and transporting me around after I messed up my leg. I didn't plan on limping around most of the day, and not being able to really operate the Bobcat.

Can't wait to see more pictures/videos, especially the video of the Bobcat getting winched. That will make for some good youtube footage!

Any word on who got this card ?

Any word on who got this card ?
Nope, can't get a reply from Terry Savery with the attendance list. All attendees were Cruiser guys besides the Jeep correct? If the club knows who all attended we can compile a list that way.

On a side note, any luck/word on the video of the bobcat getting winched? Or photos etc?

The Jeep guy was with us also. I will get a list for you.

Have not heard anything about the video, but will try to get that also.

The Jeep guy was with us also. I will get a list for you.

Have not heard anything about the video, but will try to get that also.

It ends up that Terry was able to get me the list. I had trouble reading some of the names so I assigned them all numbers (minus myself) and picked out one of the numbers instead of using names. The name that won is pointed to by the red arrow, maybe its me but I can't read it:

aimg152.imageshack.us_img152_9391_cardselection.jpg

Let me get back with you on that name. I know it was one of ours, and i knew we had a Jon there but unsure of last name right now and he has not posted up on our site. I actually was just getting with you for the same list i got from my end.

Got ahold of him. Eli, will send you the info as soon as i get it.

Back