Uwharrie Trail Workday #25, September 15th

Will you be attending the Work Day?

• Total voters

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Times flies, we are on our 25th workday (FoU involvement wise at least) and we will be "celebrating" with a Bobcat rental. A brand new Bobcat T750 with a 4in1 Combo Bucket and Auger is lined up for the workday. So guard rail install is obviously on the to do list making it a heavy work load day. At the same time we will have the Bobcat making life a little bit easier for drilling the guard rail post holes etc so it should be a very productive day. The T750 is a much heavier and more stable tracked machine, so we won't have the worries of flipping over like we did with the much smaller S175 wheeled machine.

As far as anyone that can bring tools we will need the normal run down involved with guard rail install:

-Post Hole Diggers
-Shovel
-Tamping/Rock Bar
-Sledge Hammer
-Large Diameter Socket/Ratchet Set
-Chains with hooks/d-rings for dragging guard rail

The Forest Service will be supplying most of the tools, but it never hurts to bring extras. I will have the 3 custom made chains to drag guard rail with, but it never hurts to have options. And we will also have all the proper safety equipment to deal with trail traffic/bobcat issue.

As with all workdays we have a Bobcat there will be a "Pre-Workday" on Friday. The main goal Friday is to get the Bobcat hauled out to URE and do any pre-setup that we can. If you can attend Friday we usually run from Noon-3PM or so. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

SCHEDULE:
8AM @ OUTPOST: BREAKFAST
9AM @ HUNTCAMP: FOREST SERVICE MEETING
AFTER 1PM : LUNCH
AFTER 3PM : WRAP UP WORK

I hope so cause i could of swore i had already done the August one.

This will be the last one I miss, I HOPE. I'll be taking a vacation starting the 13th, and plan on making October Hell or Highwater. See you guys soon.

That the one on the back side i seen up there a few weekends ago ? I know i seen some CNC guys moving it with a truck out of the trail.

Here is the news from the USFS.

Hi Everyone – The next work weekend for the OHV trails is September 15th and we’ll be meeting at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. Please let me know if your club will be coming up to volunteer that weekend. We have a couple of big projects that will be done at or near the Flatwoods Trailhead where we have illegal traffic going behind the trailhead down a closed area and also many trails going off into the woods from the big dispersed camping area that is just a little bit up from the trailhead. If anyone of you are chainsaw certified and will be coming up that weekend please bring your stuff. We have a few trees that have come done and many of our folks have been out on fire and haven’t been here to help out with bucking them up.

Also, the following trails are temporarily closed during the next couple of weeks because we have contractors out there doing trail reroute construction. All of Dutch John Trail is closed & part of Wolf Den Trail is closed at the southern end of the trail from where it intersects with Forest Road 516 up to where it intersects with Falls Dam Trail.

I believe we’ll have a bobcat on September 15th with an auger because we’ll be putting in some more guardrail to block illegal trails. Also, we’ll be utilizing winches on your vehicles to move some logs to use as barricades.

We greatly appreciate your help. I want to emphasize that you are very important to us so that we’re able to keep motorized recreation on the Uwharrie National Forest. With your help in rerouting trails, barricading off illegal trails, picking up trash and spreading the word for responsible trail riding and keeping people on the trails we are able to minimize our impacts to watershed, soils, archaeological, botanical and wildlife resources and habitats while allowing for motorized recreation.

That the one on the back side i seen up there a few weekends ago ? I know i seen some CNC guys moving it with a truck out of the trail.

No, I was there earlier today and there was a big tree fallen across where the small mud pit is on Daniel. Blocks basically the whole trail.

I will be down on Fri day eyening or early sat morning . but i need a place to camp and park truck and trailer. maybe i can find one at Arrow head.

I will be down on Fri day eyening or early sat morning . but i need a place to camp and park truck and trailer. maybe i can find one at Arrow head.
If you are volunteering you can always get a free site at Arrowhead. Just see the campground host Janet Becker and she will get you setup.

I was up there today handling the Bobcat delivery and "pre workday setup" with Terry Savery. Looks like we have over 200ft of guard rail to install plus a number of logs to winch/move to block spider trails. We have our work cut out for us so hopefully it will be a productive workday.

I have to leave there NLT 1500 hrs. ( 3pm ) for you non Government paople.

Our group Didn't make it up there till later in the afternoon, but with the help of some dudes with a bow saw we cleared most of the branches covering the mud pit on Daniel. U can still bypass it to the side. I say we leave the trunk of the tree where it is, makes for a challenge!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for coming out for the workday. I believe we had 7 volunteers and 2 Forest Service, so 9 people total. Things went a little more faced paced than usual, but in the end it made for a shorter day which I am sure everyone was happy about. My day took an extra hour because I had to drive the Bobcat back to the spray field, but I still got out of there at a decent time. Sucked I missed out hanging out with everyone after the workday, but its part of the job I guess.

FYI: Anyone that saw the Bobcat out on the Forest Service roads (I saw ReconH3 and a couple other NC4X4 people) that was me.

FYI: Anyone that saw the Bobcat out on the Forest Service roads (I saw ReconH3 and a couple other NC4X4 people) that was me.

I was wondering what the trail lawn mower looking thing was. :D That thing didn't look easy to drive. It looked like you were fighting it all over the road.

Back