Uwharrie ?

cyoung

Hi guys. I'm fairly new to this board; been reading for a while but haven't posted. I've read so much about Uwharrie that my wife, daughter and I decided to go check it out. Since it was the first trip, we decided to camp just one night and take the truck (95 xcab, 4wd chevy w/stock size street tires) since it is a little more family friendly than my 79 Bronco. We just returned yesterday PM. We got an OHV pass and map. I had already printed off several maps from the web and read some about the trails. From the little info I had found and what was described as "easy" on the trail map it looked like Wolf Den and Falls Dam should be OK for my truck. Well we made it but I wouldn't do it again. Maybe some of you saw us out there, hope you weren't laughing. It took quite a while. My inexperience did not help but mostly a long wheel base and tires hurt me. Outside of not making it through, my biggest concern was getting in the way although I don't really think we did. Anyway, my real question is where is there more info on trail ratings there? The next time I go, it will be in my Bronco. It's a 79, 3" suspension lift, 33" BFG mud, Detroit in rear. I don't have a lot of off roading experience and don't really want to head in somewhere that I am likely not to make it, atleast not until I get a little more experience. Any suggestions? Thanks

I believe just about any given Saturday or Sunday, you can drive out to the Eldarado Trading post( where you get your trail pass) and wait. There will be groups of guys comming in to ride. I would fall in with a group. You can learn from them and if they are equiped simular to you, you shouldn't have problems. If they act like they don't want you with them, no biggie, not the kind of people you would want to wheel with anyway. But thats not the way things happen usually. having the family with you, look for others with family. This is one of the fastest ways to make 4wheelin friends. Don't worry about not having the most trick vehicle out there. Most of us old farts used to think that 33 in tires and a welded rear diff was hard core! The more you ride the more you will learn. Watch others, you will learn things to do, and not to do. Always be as willing to give help where you can, as much as you are willing to receive it! I envy you in a way. When you keep building on your rig, it's seems you have to go further and further to find something that is challenging. Although I am not a big fan of URE, it would be nice to have a place like that close to go and test a few things or to just get out of the house and into the woods.

I wouldn't carry the stock pick-up when it's raining or muddy. With AT's and an open rear I had a heck of a time the first time I went a few years ago. SInce the addition of MT's and a rear locker I can go most places with no problem. Your bronco sounds set up to handl most trails. I would recommend going down the hill at Dutch John the first few times. That would be clockwise looking at the map. I would also plan on going down Daniel the first time as well. That is going to the right looking at the map towards the parking lot on Cotton Place Road. Good Luck! It will seem easier each time you go!

Your Bronco sounds like it could handle about any trail there. With a little experience and finesse you can take an almost stock vehicle in so wild places. Check out this fella. They drove down from Maryland to the Mid-Atlantic Early Bronco meet in April. He didn't have any lockers and still had the TTB fron suspension. We went up all the hill climbs and had a great time.

Attachments

• 104-0434_IMGa.jpg
    104-0434_IMGa.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 104-0437_IMGa.jpg
    104-0437_IMGa.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 485
ummm...yea a stock vehicle can make it

But even minimal mods change the world

Either way...I made it almost up and down URE when I had those dinky tires..so ur more than Golden with 33s and locked.

Attachments

• small.JPG
    small.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 409
  • 2005URE 016.jpg
    2005URE 016.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 458
Last fall My j10 was broke so I too my Stock 96 XJ an I ran most of the trails with no problem. I had to take the bypass alot but that was ok.

Back