Vacation pics

rattlecanpaint

Well, I just got the time, the camera and the computer all together to do this. 4th of july me and the wife and the boy went to my parents in CO. Rented a lime green (really ugly color) jeep and did a little 4 wheeling. Started out in Ouray and went over Engineer pass to Lake City and then took Cimmamon pass to Silverton and then Red Mountain Pass back to Ouray. 97 miles total and it took from 8 am til 4:45 pm. Had a ton of fun and scared the piss out of the wife. (First time 4 wheeling and the edge was on her side most of the way). :D Engineer was EXTREMELY rough on the Ouray side. I think I found out what "that Jeep thing is". It's "I'm gonna drag my gas tank and cross member on every little rock (that my 'yota would've cleared) :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rattlecanpaint

Man, that is some beautiful country out there. :beer: Did ya put any sizeable damage in the jeep? Any the rental place would know about? :)

Didn't do any major damage to the jeep, just scraped up the cross member and the gas tank skid plate, but there were already plenty of those frome previous renters. The places that rent them are specifically Jeep rentals for the purpose of off roading around the area, so they pretty much overlook the minor underbody damage. They get new ones every year and sell the old ones in Cali after the season is over. Just remember that if you look into buying a used Jeep from someone in California. I could very well have been a rental.

Great pics! I think we did Red Mountain from Silverton to Ouray last October when we were staying with friends in Durango (on the way to Moab). We're actually flying out in a couple of weeks for their wedding, on Kendall Mountain, if you know where that is.

I recognize the name, just not sure where exactly where it is. You flying into Denver, or on over to the western slope? My tickets went from almost $300 each to go to Denver to almost $1200 each to go to Grand Junction. I thought, I don't want to BUY the plane just ride on it!

We're actually flying into Albuquerque. It is a 3 to 3.5-hour drive to Durango, much better than anywhere else "close." Best we could find was $300 each, round trip, on Southwest.

Nice pics...on a side note, how's that a/c working? A customer of mine declined repair because it was around $2800 for an evaporator to be replaced, I told him I knew of a guy who may install a window unit in the trunk of his 99' S-class Benz...lol.

It works OK, doesn't pull the heat out like everyone thought it would (including me) It takes about 20 minutes to get the truck cooled down to a reasonable temp from the 180+ it is in the cab when I start, but now that I have an hour drive one way to work, It's pretty good. I think I actually need a bigger unit to pull it down quicker. Remember, a window unit is designed to maintain temp at around 72*. It beats the H-E double hockey sticks out of not having anything! I also think it's killing my alternator. Need to get a 160 amp one. Anyone know the best place to get one and what kind of vehicle they came in?

Back