VENISON PREP TIPS

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
So Ive been eating deer my whole life, but its always been made the same ways. Cubed and canned, ground for burger, or backstraps. Im looking for some different ways to fix it. So lets here your favorite way to fix deer.

Whole tenderloin, salt, pepper, thyme sous vide at 130* for 2 hours then sear on a hot grill. Redneck chateubriand

Depends on the cut. The best tenderloin I've ever had came out of the deer at camp and got tossed on the campfire with salt and pepper. I usually like to do back strap steak filets and then turn the hams/shoulders into burger. I cubed up some backstrap filets for my deer chili last week and it was amazing.

For thanksgiving, I'm going to cook a deer ham. I got a recipe from a friend. Two bottles of Carolina Sweet and Sweet Baby Rays, 1 bag of baby carrots, potatoes, whole onion, cover it in bacon, bake for 4 hours at 350 and allow it to tenderize over night. Pull the bone out and serve. It's either gonna be amazing or terrible:lol:. My friend says its amazing and shes a good cook so we will see.

"ahi-bambi"

back strap filets cooked rare, sliced thin just like ahi-tuna is presented, a little soy, some wasabi

I generally season deer meat with a marinade using dales steak sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and Montreal steak seasoning. Sometimes I add some red pepper flakes for a little extra heat. Done that for roast, burgers, back strap, and I season the meat before I use in spaghetti.

Slice about any muscle across the grain about 1/4, 3/8". Put the slices on plastic wrap on a cutting board and cover w more wrap. Then smash it w a flat meat hammer.Hit it in the middle and move to the edges while making each piece spread out and about double the size. Don't smash through it just make it thinner. Then dip the smashed pieces in milk and shake in a bag or dredge in a bowl w Kentucky Kernal seasoned flour and fry in a frying pan w enough oil to cover the bottom. Fry it about a minute or 2 on each side or till golden brown. You can eat it just as it is but I prefer to serve it w the biscuits and meat covered w white, country gravy .

Last edited:
Slice backstraps about 1.5" and then cut the cutlets in in 3 or 4 pieces depending how large the bs is. Season w whatever you like,salt/pepr, garlic powder, Lawry's season salt etc. or marinade an hour or so w soy sauce,worstershire, teriyaki etc. Then wrap w bacon stuck w a water soaked toothpick and grill turning about every 2 mins. till the bacon is cooked and the meat is med. rare.Or you could make shishkabobs w onion,peppers mushrooms etc.

All if these sounds great. Thanks.

I eat deer meat every week of the year. The most effort I put into it is butterflying the back straps then marinating for 15-20 min before wrapping them in bacon and landing on the grill. We substitute deer for everything that most use hbeef/burger. I’ve got sliced hind quarters thawing out for jerky now:D

Back