Vibration question

diver552

I hope someone will have some insight to this. It is driving me insane. I have an 04 tj. I did a re-gear to 4.88 with a detroit locker. I also have a JB conversions SSYE and a tom woods driveshaft.

I have a vibration that feels very pronounced near 70 mph, which suck because well highway driving. It lessens dramatically after 75. If I put the transfer case in 4hi and pull the rear driveshaft it completely goes away. Basically just driving in front wheel drive.(the front is re-geared also with 4.88) Would this indicate it is just a driveshaft issue or could it still be the rear end gearing being off since it is not being driven, just coasting? Would it make that much difference? I aligned the driveshaft as was needed, but I have recently read about some issues with Tom Woods driveshafts having vibrations around 55. So is this just a driveshaft issue or could it still be in a bad re-gear? Money is tight now so don't want to rebuild the rear end and still have the vibration. Any wisdom that you can impart will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
I will defer to those with more experience. But I had this after doing an axle swap and rear drive shaft. Turns out one of the u-joints on the shaft was going bad.

If you check the angle and its good, check the u-joints.

If the driveline angle is right I'd put money on the fact the driveshaft is the issue. It likely isn't straight as those short TJ shafts are not the easiest to get straight. Post up a pic of the shaft so we can see the angle and how much weight is on it.

Make sure it’s phased correctly too
Vibes from phasing are generally much lower speed than what he's experiencing.

If the driveline angle is right I'd put money on the fact the driveshaft is the issue. It likely isn't straight as those short TJ shafts are not the easiest to get straight. Post up a pic of the shaft so we can see the angle and how much weight is on it.

Vibes from phasing are generally much lower speed than what he's experiencing.
C11188B5-4BE1-4183-A1E3-3FA9F8F38E90.jpeg

Not the best picture. Sorry about that. Will check the angle when I get a day that isn’t sweltering but it was originally set correctly with an angle finder.

Thank you.

View attachment 376112
Not the best picture. Sorry about that. Will check the angle when I get a day that isn’t sweltering but it was originally set correctly with an angle finder.

Thank you.
Grab the slip and see if it has play (check the rest of the shaft as well shouldn't be any play). If it does, mark orientation then pull the slip and pack done grease in it to see if that helps.

Your driveshaft looks in phase in your pic.

Duane
That is what I thought was meant by in phase just hadn't heard it called that before. Unless it is out 180* then I am sure it is in phase. Do you know if 180 out would only cause noticeable near 70 mph? I would think it would be at most speeds but don't have experience with an out of balance shaft, only tires. lol

Also the video made me bust out laughing when he tried to separate that driveshaft. great choice.

That is what I thought was meant by in phase just hadn't heard it called that before. Unless it is out 180* then I am sure it is in phase. Do you know if 180 out would only cause noticeable near 70 mph? I would think it would be at most speeds but don't have experience with an out of balance shaft, only tires. lol

Also the video made me bust out laughing when he tried to separate that driveshaft. great choice.

I'll defer that question to the driveshaft guy in the thread, every driveshaft vibration I've had was from a very obvious dent lol.

Duane

I have a similar issue with a shaft I had built for my dodge, never have gotten it fixed. Member on here recommended Taylor drive line in Monroe NC and I plan to take it to them one day when I get the time.

I have a similar issue with a shaft I had built for my dodge, never have gotten it fixed. Member on here recommended Taylor drive line in Monroe NC and I plan to take it to them one day when I get the time.
I would love to find a shop just a bit closer since I am almost at the ocean. Any recommendations between Wilmington, Fayetteville, Myrtle Beach?

I would love to find a shop just a bit closer since I am almost at the ocean. Any recommendations between Wilmington, Fayetteville, Myrtle Beach?
I know what you mean, their shop is about 2.5 hours from me. Maybe someone else will know someone closer but that's the only place in NC I know to recommend.

And should you find issues and want to start all over, with a premium shaft without the 200% markup because "my shaft's a xxxx" or others touted by the latest crowd of BOBers/fanboi's 🙄

I've had 3 driveshafts made by Tatton's (dictated by wheelbase stretching/drivetrain swaps)... the same quality Spicer parts, quality workmanship (fit/finish/balance), respectable shipping times and without a price that pains your manhood and will do it again without hesitation.

And should you find issues and want to start all over, with a premium shaft without the 200% markup because "my shaft's a xxxx" or others touted by the latest crowd of BOBers/fanboi's 🙄

I've had 3 driveshafts made by Tatton's (dictated by wheelbase stretching/drivetrain swaps)... the same quality Spicer parts, quality workmanship (fit/finish/balance), respectable shipping times and without a price that pains your manhood and will do it again without hesitation.
Thanks. Will keep them in mind. All prices pain my manhood anymore. 🤣🤣🤣

Back