WANT TO WIN A JEEP , TJ ?

Dylan W.

lone resident of Bro-Lite Island
I have been thinking about selling my beloved 97 tj.
it has been a great jeep , and has taking me places I never would have imagined.
It has a great list of mods and tons of trail experience.

I was thinking of asking $6000 for the jeep.
As I thought more about it, the sound of a drawing sounded
better to me.

This way someone could win my tj with little investment and i could pocket some much needed cash.

What about 100 tickets sold for 75 dollars each?
Thats 7500 for me and a great tj for the winner!

What do you folks think? ALL fead back is wanted.
WOULD ANYONE BUY A TICKET?

I think alot of people would be worried about how fair the drawing would be. I am sure you are an honest person but seems like a pretty easy thing to rig for a friend. In no way am I saying this is the case here; just saying it would come to mind anytime you heard of something like this with only an individual backing it. 5 or 10 bucks, I can take a chance on a scam; thats just weekly poker game fun money. 75 is a little above that. At least for me. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it either way you go.

You'd better check the legal ramifications, first.

I'd buy a ticket in a heartbeat -- if it was a nonprofit organization doing a raffle. An individual, no way. Even 1-in-100 is poor odds of actually winning, you have to consider it a donation and not expect anything for your money.

Do you have any suggestions on how to insure its fairness?
I agree with everything you said,just seems like there is a way somehow.

Pay an un-bias 3rd party a small fee to insure the drawing is done fairly and I would do it publicly. But I am with, Kaiser, seems like there could be legal ramifications. I dont know though.

Yes, another good argument..............any other ideas?
i know i could just sell it, but I was just having thoughts of this.

Im pretty sure it's not legal..

I thought I saw something on ROF about the Northridge jeep or something and a raffle..

I dont think you are allowed to raffle items off for profit but may be wrong.. Otherwise wouldnt everyone try it?

here's some reading if you're interested:

§ 14-309.15.Raffles.

(a) It is lawful for any nonprofit organization or association, recognized by the Department of Revenue as tax-exempt pursuant to G.S. 105-130.11(a), to conduct raffles in accordance with this section. Any person who conducts a raffle in violation of any provision of this section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Upon conviction that person shall not conduct a raffle for a period of one year. It is lawful to participate in a raffle conducted pursuant to this section. It shall not constitute a violation of State law to advertise a raffle conducted in accordance with this section. A raffle conducted pursuant to this section is not "gambling".

(b) For purposes of this section "raffle" means a game in which the prize is won by random drawing of the name or number of one or more persons purchasing chances.

(c) Raffles shall be limited to two per nonprofit organization per year.

(d) The maximum cash prize that may be offered or paid for any one raffle is ten thousand dollars ($10,000) and if merchandise is used as a prize, and it is not redeemable for cash, the maximum fair market value of that prize may be fifty thousand dollars ($50,000). No real property may be offered as a prize in a raffle. The total cash prizes offered or paid by any nonprofit organization or association may not exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) in any calendar year. The total fair market value of all prizes offered by any nonprofit organization or association, either in cash or in merchandise that is not redeemable for cash, may not exceed fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) in any calendar year.

(e) Raffles shall not be conducted in conjunction with bingo.

(f) As used in this subsection, "net proceeds of a raffle" means the receipts less the cost of prizes awarded. No less than ninety percent (90%) of the net proceeds of a raffle shall be used by the nonprofit organization or association for charitable, religious, educational, civic, or other nonprofit purposes. None of the net proceeds of the raffle may be used to pay any person to conduct the raffle, or to rent a building where the tickets are received or sold or the drawing is conducted.

Yes, I think you are right,however there is no way 7500 bucks will make me a profit....lol, you know how this game goes...you never get back what jeep sucks out!!

Yeah but I dont think NC looks at it like that.. is the jeep free and clear? I would say you'd have to have some reciepts or something... I dont think it's worth your time or effort...

Also the "not for profit organization" thing kind of screws you..

it would bee some paperwork, but if you wanted to set up a NP or NFP it is very easy and very little restriction.

That actually is a pet peave of mine. Many "Non-profit" organizations make millions and pay CEOs mega bucks. And people dont think twice because they are "non-profit"

Im not going to apply for non profit status,just to pull off jeep raffle.As CTB PR director I realize the ramifications of this if it were to get caught. I dont wanna take any chances. I have found my answer in all this feed back..Jeep will be sold not raffled.Thanks to all who replied.

You could just donate the excess to a charity, than it would be OK, right?

(Hint: my wife is fundraising for the Susan Keleman breast cancer 3-day walk) :D

I have read about that walk/fundraiser in Winston-Salem Journal....very good cause indeed. I plan on mentioning that charity at the CTBs officers meeting this weekend.Im not sure yet, but we may send some $$ in that direction.
I have decided to try and sell the jeep soon.
Thanks, Dylan

I know the issue is resolved, but here's another interesting point.
Dosn't the "winner" have to pay income tax on the vehicle if acquired that way? I mean it's stil a deal, but just something else that has to be worked out. I had a buddy who won a car once in a drawing, and he ended up having to sell it just to come up /w the cash to pay the feds.
Many times when corporations have giveaways like this, they also provide the winner w/ the tax liability just so they don't get screwed. Clearly you wouldn't want to do that, lol

I see you are in Winston, and I was wandering if we know the same guy. The guy I know won a Richard Petty edition Grand Prix,back in the early 90s. He too had to sell just to pay our uncle.His name was Jamie Levis. Is this the same guy?

Nope - but here's a guy that won a free trip into outer space, only to learn it actually cost him $25k when Uncle Sam kicked in.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16861379/

I thought the $$ numbers were bigger than that, actually.

Back