Warn 9.5ti brake issue

LBarr2002

Any winch experts here?

The brake hasn't been working on my warn 9.5ti for a long time. I took it apart and literally poured the brake pieces out of the drum. The snap ring had come off the end. I reassembled the brake assembly and all looked good, so I put it back together. But, the brake still doesn't work. Anybody know how to fix it?

17823-a1fefa5560a8de01fe878856e2eb8fbf.jpg

Subbed for knowledge!
My slightly used 9.5ti (came off a mall crawler) won't pull a greasy string out of a cats ass, so will tear it all down shortly.
IIRC, I ran across a couple of posts regarding the brake when surfing about them...

I'm not a winch expert but it's all fun to learn about. I got curious so I started looking at exploded parts views, etc...

Then I found this, which makes it sound like the internal spring needs to be preloaded while reassembling, rather than just putting the parts back together:
Warn winch HS9500i re-greasing and brake assembly repair - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Sounds simple enough (and sounds plausible that this is the issue), but I'm not the guy putting a brake assembly back together so it's easy for me to armchair-mechanic it.....

Last edited:
I'm not a winch expert but it's all fun to learn about. I got curious so I started looking at exploded parts views, etc...

Then I found this, which makes it sound like the internal spring needs to be preloaded while reassembling, rather than just putting the parts back together:
Warn winch HS9500i re-greasing and brake assembly repair - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Sounds simple enough (and sounds plausible that this is the issue), but I'm not the guy putting a brake assembly back together so it's easy for me to armchair-mechanic it.....
Awesome, I'll give it a try. When I feel like pulling the bumper back off to get the winch out...

I tore it back apart today, saw exactly what the describe about turning it 180 before install, still doesn't work...

I read something else about tensioning the spring between the 2 cone pieces, not just turning the cam piece 180 degrees. But, they said too loose and it will slip, too tight and it will drag, and recommend buying a new brake assembly. I really don't want to do this again...

Same issue with an M8000. I tried putting those parts back together 3 times. Never worked. Bought a new assembly and it came in a complete unit and it worked!

Ordered a brake assembly from Clemson4wheel today...

wr can i buy this item

Call them. Its probably not an inventory item on their website, but they are a warn service center. If the part is available, they should be able to get it.

Sounds good. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks for responding.
Still had the box sitting on my workbench.
20211108_164047.jpg

This is my old brake, but the way its packaged.
20211108_164032.jpg

It also comes with a new driveshaft and side drive gear. I debated replacing because it requires further tear down, but I did and it needed to be cleaned and regreased. This is the grease you're supposed to use.
AeroShell Grease 64 (formerly 33MS) Extreme Pressure Grease - 14 oz Cartridge

Still had the box sitting on my workbench.

This is my old brake, but the way its packaged.

It also comes with a new driveshaft and side drive gear. I debated replacing because it requires further tear down, but I did and it needed to be cleaned and regreased. This is the grease you're supposed to use.
AeroShell Grease 64 (formerly 33MS) Extreme Pressure Grease - 14 oz Cartridge

I spoke with Clemson 4 wheel today. Turns out the brake rebuild kit has been discontinued. Warn still has a few in stock in Oregon for a hefty price of $240. I'm going to tear into my winch next week and see if I can figure out how to reassemble it correctly before I order the kit.

Back