water in diesel question

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
2017 F250 6.7
175,000 miles
earlier this summer the water in fuel light came on. I drained the separator and replaced both fuel filters.

Yesterday the light came on again. I drained it this morning.

My questions: do you think I just have a quantity of water in the main tank and both of these times are from that and eventually I’ll get it all drained? Anything I should check? Any treatment I can pour into the tank?

i’ve had a diesel truck since 2010 and this summer is the first time I’ve ever had to deal with this.

IMG_8074.jpeg

Is the tank easy to drain? If so, I'd probably drain a sample out and see how that looks.

Reconsider where you're getting fuel. The water is heavier and generally sinks to the bottom (some will dissolve/mix with the fuel and can cause vapor lock issues). The pickup grabs whatever is at the bottom of the tank first, which should be most of the water.

Am I correct in assuming there is one pump to take it from the main tank to the separator, then another pump from the separator to the engine?

Reconsider where you're getting fuel.
This...
Since 99% of "auto diesel" pumps are still sporting filters from 2022... so these sources are "dire emergency ONLY"
I buy fuel where the (local) truckers purchase theirs... given the volume, the vendors can ill afford to push dirty fuel and suffer the instant boycott/bad mouthing, so they're typically on top of sampling, filters, etc.

Am I correct in assuming there is one pump to take it from the main tank to the separator, then another pump from the separator to the engine?
Unless they've changed something with the 6.7L's, PowerStrokes typically have a frame mounted "lift" pump that pulls from tank, thru frame mounted filter/water separator, and to the secondary filter on the block at injection pump source

I would drop the tank and turn it upside down and get everything out of it, A fuel system will cost much more then a Saturday morning.

I'd drain the tank if it continues to happen, injectors aren't cheap.

It wouldn't get to the injectors. The CP4 would suffer a rapid unscheduled disassembly....THAT would take out the injectors and everything else. :D

For sure get fuel from a better source. I've never had that much water drain from any of my diesel trucks combined. It had to have been pumped in there.

I'd be running a good fuel additive anyway. OptiLube or HotShots...something.

I don’t know which of the 10 different stations I’ve gotten fuel from this summer may be the issue. I’d guess it’s one from when I was out of town, as when I’m at home I fill up at one of two different stations.

Back