Welder Problems

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
Yea i Got a hobart 175 and for some reason it all of a sudden doesn't want to spool out wire anymore :mad: . It'll start alright then just kinda die to where the wire is barely coming out anymore. The thing has worked fine for me b4 it was actually working fine for bout 10 min b4 it started doing this. Tried changing tips, tried pulling out a couple feet of wire in case it was a bad spot no sucess. I seems like the motor itself is either old an dying or something is making it bog down???? Any tips or ideas? I was going to use this thing again on monday so the quicker i can fix it the better. If nothing else where do I take it to get it fixed the quickest, back to Northern Tool or what?
Thanks.

mine will do the same thing every now and then i will take the gun and spin it. Some times it helps but not always dont know what else it could be.

Ricky,
If the cable is kinked it can cause this. If the tension is not set right, it can cause it too. If something is binding the spool that can cause it too. Have you recently changed wire spools? or size wire? I have the exact same machine and I had the problem once and it was the spool not turning right, I fixed it by watching it with the cover up. just be careful there is live current in there

Checked for kinked cable, none, not a new roll either its actually a little past half used up. I tryed to watch it with the lid up and I didn't notice anythingexcept that the nut holding on the lower roller was lose, I tightned it but it made no difference, I'll check it again but like I said I didn't notice anything offhand. I guess its possible the hose liner could have gone bad, the welder was used when I bought it. It's just wierd thou cause I havn't changed anything and have welded fine b4 with no probs then all of a sudden it starts binding up? Oh well, yea I'll check it one more time with the cover up to make sure. How would I know if the hose liner has gone bad?

You wouldn't, cheap to replace. So with the lid up, it fed the wire fine? Then I'm betting a bad liner.

Im with Rob, deffinitely a bad liner. Pull the liner out, you can normally see where it is bad.

No northern dont sell liners, need to go to a welding specialty store.

Now you know why guys freak out when you stand on the hose going to the gun.

My 210 done this, took the liner out an blowed through it with the air hose an it worked fine after that, I guess there was some trash on the wire , an over time it built up.

maverick said:
My 210 done this, took the liner out an blowed through it with the air hose an it worked fine after that, I guess there was some trash on the wire , an over time it built up.

That's why many folks use the little ScotchBrite "scubbers over the wire before it hits the pinch rollers... cleans any grinder dust, rust, etc. off the wire... subsequently, the liner should last a bit longer

what brand is the wire? i bought some cheap chicago electric wire one time from harbor freight that would do that in certain spots of the roll. i assume it wasn't a uniform shape/diameter through out. i've always run a quality brand since then and it's been fine.

The cheap wire was the culprit as stated, I do not skimp on the wire anymore, the old saying pay me now or pay me later will always have a payday.

Back