What’s the most stuck pinion you’ve had?

iwaxmyjimmy

College Web Wheeler
I do a few ring and pinions a month it seems lately, ive done quite a few in life time between working at dealerships, my stuff, friends rigs, and my little bullshit business out of my garage. I’m no Jody Treadway by any means, he’s who I go to if I have questions and secretly I wear crocs trying to channel my inner axle Yoda before I message him so I don’t ask a stupid question. Did that a few months ago, as I was digging through shims and found a master shim so I could take out a few thousandths off the pinion shim, it was a oof moment. Anyway, this is the first time I’ve ever had to go to this length to remove one. Generally I use a punch bit in my air hammer and it drives them out without a problem. I apologized to the customer because again this is a first for me, and I knew it was gonna trash his factory pinion gear, thank god he’s going to 4.88s. Anyway here are some pics.

6123fc1a90b67e54b19daa66c1db6e49.jpg

First few wacks demolished the nut on the end. Took the nut off, advised my customer what I was gonna have to do and it wasn’t budging. Pulled the rear housing and threw it on my axle stand and chained it down.

3225a1ffaf80c9b1e38386bfa218c914.jpg

Tried a map gas torch to heat the bearing up hoping it would budge. I got all of 1/8-1/4” of movement out of it. Arms were spent, so grabbed the plasma cutter. Worse case I’d have to source another rear housing.

a81531fc4c1b096fafd930adb2ac1c04.jpg

8a8b94e1eef46fd9b6f2f7d3c2de2e8d.jpg

Still took 10 good wacks with the 4lb sledge. Now my veins are a nurses wet dream. Now to clean up the pinion seal surface some and setup these 4.88s. Just figured it would be interesting and I’m sure someone has an alternative method. I’m currently swamped because the local shops can’t put out decent work.

a270bcea5bc32e933e9b6a44a81ccbc4.jpg

e591fda70664cabc41de814ec04f6eba.jpg

I mean I understand it’s an interference fit, but ain’t no way in hell I wasn’t hitting it hard enough with my purse.

Worst outer pinion bearing I've ever had was a C8.25 not sure why it was so damn tight and no wear near that bad. Had a JK awhile back where the inner pinion bearing was a +.002 press fit like you show above and the press nor the bearing puller was very fond of pulling that bastard off. Really need to get a mac daddy air hammer to push pinions out.

Worst outer pinion bearing I've ever had was a C8.25 not sure why it was so damn tight and no wear near that bad. Had a JK awhile back where the inner pinion bearing was a +.002 press fit like you show above and the press nor the bearing puller was very fond of pulling that bastard off. Really need to get a mac daddy air hammer to push pinions out.

Have you picked up a clamshell puller yet? I use the hell out of mine. Generally use the actual press for just installing new bearings. With the clamshell puller and that high torque 1/2 drive Milwaukee impact I rarely use a bearing separator.

Have you picked up a clamshell puller yet? I use the hell out of mine. Generally use the actual press for just installing new bearings. With the clamshell puller and that high torque 1/2 drive Milwaukee impact I rarely use a bearing separator.

That's my bearing puller I was referring too, I have the same Milwaukee impact and she was not happy about it. Never use my press to take bearings off just on.

That's my bearing puller I was referring too, I have the same Milwaukee impact and she was not happy about it. Never use my press to take bearings off just on.

Dang....

I've had 2 JK 44s that required putting the housing in the 40 ton press to push the pinion through the bearing.

I figured you may have seent this before, any idea what’s caused it? Just luck of the draw? I noticed it had koyo bearings in it.

I figured you may have seent this before, any idea what’s caused it? Just luck of the draw? I noticed it had koyo bearings in it.
One was just plain stuck. It was a Koyo.
The other one, I messed up and put the front diff outer bearing in the rear with the rear diff race. It assembled, drove 5 miles and welded itself to the pinion. Owner was waiting on the Jeep. Replaced bearing and all was good

One was just plain stuck. It was a Koyo.
The other one, I messed up and put the front diff outer bearing in the rear with the rear diff race. It assembled, drove 5 miles and welded itself to the pinion. Owner was waiting on the Jeep. Replaced bearing and all was good

I refuse to gears for people waiting, but I’m also doing the jack stand and creeper life. It makes everything a pain in the ass.

No shit, buddy needed some 4.56s put in his grand daughters JK axles. Brought the rear this morning just the housing with the ring/pinion/carrier still in it. Start pulling it apart, pinion wouldn’t budge. So I tried the press this time. It started tweaking my 20 ton press and getting sketchy. Plasma cut the bearing again press still wouldn’t budge and getting rather sketchy, but a 5 lb sledge did it. Koyo bearings in a 2011 JKU, 3.73 were the facory ratio.

Back