What 40" AT's for a multi purpose daily driver

Clubbs

Bought these 35" fallen MT's about 6,000 miles ago for my son's CJ7. That was this summer right before the little 6 cyl let go. Now that we've big block swapped it with a no overdrive auto trans I've got lots of power but need to get the rpms down on the highway.

Anyone have experience daily driving something on 40's lately? Still have the 42" TSL's for the woods so don't need amazing off road grip, but a decent hwy/at tire ought to work.

Ive looked some and doesn't look like I can get anything that round with a 15" wheel anymore.

What are y'all running on your multi-purpose big tire rigs these days?

I daily drove my wrangler on pro comp mts for a long time. They did great, been several years but they were the most affordable back then.

I like the ProComp MT2s on my CUCV. They're still one of the more affordable 40" tires...at least they were the last time I checked.

Looks like milestars are the lowest cost 40" right now. But I'll still have to get 17" wheels.

@Croatan_Kid what is the center hole bore for these cucv axle I'm running, and what take offs would fit?

I'd like to run aluminum just for less weight but could go buy more soft 8's to add to the stack of 15" ones I have

I considered buying Cooper Discoverer STT Pros for my Jeep.

The Cooper STTs currently on my Jeep go down the road great, even with my shitty suspension and poor alignment.

GM hubs are 4.600" until they went to 8x180mm in 2011. Literally anything 8 lug will fit it. H2s are a solid choice as are 3rd Gen Dodge wheels.

H2s are 17x8.5, 5.5" of backspacing, cast aluminum, plentiful, affordable, available in several different styles/finishes, and look pretty damn good. You can use stock, 3rd gen Dodge lugnuts on them too. Same taper as the rims and still 9/16-18 threads. They'll be both hub and lug centric also.

3rd Gen Dodge wheels are 17x8, 6.2-ish" of backspacing, forged aluminum, pretty easy to find, had a couple of different styles and finishes, and also look pretty good.

I like that factory wheels are easy to clean and maintain. Those 3rd Gen wheels are strong AF too. None of mine are bent after 3 rolls!

40x13.50-17s look/work really well on both!

Last edited:
It’s not quite a daily but I drive my LJ a lot on 40x13.50/17 Cooper STT Pros. Other than being loud on the highway they‘ve not been bad at all. They balanced out nice on a set of H2 wheels.

Back