What Kinda CB do you use??

thebluyak

So before I take a trip to URE I wanted to have a cb and was looking around and there is alotta options, what kinda do you run and how much was it
thanks
Ryan

HAHA jb how does that cb working for 39? is it doing its job or is it crapping out on ya. Cause I didnt wanna spend a ton of money on one and 39 dollars sounds nice
ryan

Works just fine. I think it's a Maxxon brand??? Do get a good antenna though, don't skimp on that. You'll prolly spend more for the antenna, mount and cable, which are very important to proper operation. Most all problems with cheap CBs are not the CB.

JB

I was looking at a firestik antenna, do the cables come with the cb or do they need to be bought seperatly. There is a cb radio shop in greensboro near the collusim (sp) I went in there one day, real nice man. But im sure he can help me out with the cables and Antenna, also where is yours mounted? I was thinking my back bumper or rear quarter panel high up. I dont mind drilling through the body panels or such.

Uniden pro 510XL in both rigs. Cheap ($~40), reliable, and rugged as all hell. Mine's been through more abuse than any radio has a right to... (3 years in direct sunlight, rain, etc... and still transmits clearly)

A radio shack magnet mount fiberglass whip gave me a 1.1 SWR on the truck...

On the crawler, a no-longer-in-production K40 superflex. AFAIK, the Wilson Superflex is the next best alternative. (ALWAYS with a small spring at the base)

P.S. Firestik antennas suck for a wheeler.. they do not flex near enough for any kind of bending... and no, a spring on the base isn't the cure all.

Key on cb antenna, full length is best, but that is 102". Bending one to make it shorter makes it less effective than a vertically mounted coil type.

The next best thing is the coil mount in the CENTER of the mast, not the base. This balances the signal on the antenna, unlike bottom mount coils (the majority of you reception is at the bottom of the antenna, not good).

Try to mount the antenna near the center of your vehicle, I put mine in the bed of my truck to protect it and enhance 360 degree reception.
If you put it on a corner you will have the best reception will be in a line through your vehicle (the opposite corner, kind of hard to explain).

Also make sure to mount it vertically.

What I did was get an elcheepo WalMart cb, put a cigarette lighter plug on the end, and a magnet mount center coil mount antenna.

I can pull my cb an not worry about it getting stolen and stick my antenna anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Rockeater said:
K-Mart. $39.95 :D

JB

Durango Wal-Mart, $35. :D

It's a Uniden.... or something. I don't really care. When it breaks, I'll buy a new one.

And all that bottom-loaded/top-loaded/center-loaded antenna stuff shouldn't matter.

http://www.wilsonantenna.com/generalq.htm
http://www.firestik.com/FAQ.htm

I got a similar setup to Rich's for Christmas, but haven't had time to install it (probably won't till after the CNC run to URE). I might try if someone's gonna have a SWR meter at camp.

Also, I got mine mailorder from the same place Mikey got his a while back. They were VERY helpful when my wife called (I told her part numbers, and everything and she got all but the spring).

J

I also found that mounting the CB overhead in the rollcage I could hear it ALOT better than mounted below the dash. The speakers are usually in the bottom of the CB. Mine also came with a "PA" output, which I got a small PA horn mounted on the front bumper. Perfect for haggling people on the trail.... :D

J(loud mouth)B

Rockeater said:
I also found that mounting the CB overhead in the rollcage I could hear it ALOT better than mounted below the dash. The speakers are usually in the bottom of the CB. Mine also came with a "PA" output, which I got a small PA horn mounted on the front bumper. Perfect for haggling people on the trail.... :D

J(loud mouth)B

u can rig an external speaker so it sits over your head

hobie said:
Mental note taken. (Avoid being in front of JB on trail rides). :flipoff2:

:lol: It's also VERY handy when someone doesn't have a CB. Just key the mic and HEY BONEHEAD, TURN LEFT UP AHEAD ! :lol:

JB

hobie said:
How about hooking into the stereo somehow? I'm getting a stereo with RCA inputs.

J

IF .....IF the CB has a line out you can go into your AUX input on your stereo. You can, but I would NOT, hook the external speaker output to the stereo. You can blow up the input. The ext PA/spk out is a couple of watts. A line input is in the milliwatt range

Yes im def goin to check out the walmart Cb, the man in high point can help me out some with wiring and maybe a place to put my antenna, he was very friendly when I was just discussing situations with him before I had my jeep. Payday is monday so a CB will be invested in, but ill have to put the money back and what for my jeeps return
But a CB is def a must for trips such as URE especially if im lucky enough to get invited to a URE run with nc. Get my feet wet for the first URE trip. Oh just for a note I did get tow hook brackets and tow hooks hahaha
Ryan

Uniden pro 510XL, bought mine off Ebay for 15.00 bucks shipped to my house I use a k40 mag mount (25.00 close out at a stero shop) on top of my cab. Works like a charm

K40 in the YJ with a 4' Firestick on the rear door bumper - real good
Cherrokee Nightrider 150 in the Commando with a 8' whip - pretty good...too many switches
Cobra wxt75 in the Towtruck with 5' firestick - nice compact all in one handset (sucked on the trail, too much going on in the handset)
Cobra 38 wxst hand held - use this as a trial loaner for newbs that show up without a cb. It takes about 25 AA batteries or uses the cigarette lighter...works O.K. (good enough for the trail)
Radio Shack hand held I use this when spotting someone so that I don't have to yell. Works well in close range and has nice built in NiCad battery

I have an old Teaberry Scout. Its not the greatest, mainly because its like 20 plus years old, but it works alright when your sitting still or going really, really slow. Hey, it was free though!!

-Jon

Back