What rim width?

86m1008beater

For you guys running 15in. wide tires, what rim width would you say is best for keeping the tire on the rim but yet not wearing out the middle of the tire? Also, pics would be nice. Thanks

proper inflation will keep you from wearing out the middle of the tire...

I run 8" rims with my 13.50's...

probably run a 10" for a 15.00...

Greg

it depends...of course

I like the increased stability of the 10" rims I have now but I haven't tried with low pressures yet. Once you get to the bigger tires the difference between 8" and 10" doesn't make much difference in the 12-13.50 width tires. There is a lot of sidewall to just move the tire out 1" each way. I went with 10" for a wider stance on off camber hills. If I slip the beads hopefully the CO2 will reseat them. Just one opinion. Kyle at 4wheel parts said he prefers the 8" for keeping the beads on though. I guess I'll find out soon. 10" are heavier too.

Obsiously air pressure would change how the tire wears but here's the situation. I want to run 42/15 TSLs with the most narrow rim as possible and still have even tread wear. That's all. I'm thinking 8in. wide rims by the way but not sure how my tire tread will like that setup.

86m1008beater said:
Obsiously air pressure would change how the tire wears but here's the situation. I want to run 42/15 TSLs with the most narrow rim as possible and still have even tread wear. That's all. I'm thinking 8in. wide rims by the way but not sure how my tire tread will like that setup.

I don't think I'd run a 15x8 rim with a 42/15 tire...

general rule is 1.5*rim width for max tire width, so a 15x10 is what I'd buy...

I feel my 13.50's are really at the limit for my 15x8's...

Greg

Most OE specs are not to run anything over 4 inches wider than your rims. Considering the abnormal tire width... 10's sound about right. I run 10's on 12.5 tires, but I've never aired down below 15 psi. Don't really wheel that hard.

42x15 on 8s will balloon BAD!

Strictly from a looks standpoint I went from 8s to 10s with my 38.5x15.5 boggs...

I dont mean good looks, just that the end of the tread wasnt close to touching and at higher AP almost "wrapped around"

$.02 given

I run 42x14 irok on a 9 inch rim, it looks fine. I would run at least the 10" rim like BIG W said on that tsl though. My spare is a 42 tsl on a 12 wide rim

I'd run a 10" rim on those.

However, I used to run a 16.5 wide tire on a 6.75" rim, worked fine on the road and trails. It ballooned a little at higher pressure, but I kept the pressure low most of the time...

Im currently running 15x8's on 36" tires. I just got some 15x10's to see what it is like with them. I have had no problems with the 8" ers, except the center tread is wearing much quicker, even at 17psi street. Hopefully the 15x10's will help with this.

Back