What to look for in a used Toyota?

OBX Fisherman

Thinking about buying a toyota 4runner, late 80s, early 90s model. Anything in particular to look out for on one of these? Are the auto trannies Ok? The one in particular has 150K miles, 6 cylinder.

Well, not sure how much help I will be on this but here are my thoughts:

ANY Toyota is better(more reliable) than a comparable year (80s/90s) Chevy/Ford, etc...with that kind of mileage. (I really like Chevy 4.3ls tho for a 6cyl vs Toy...so that is actually debatable)

If it had the Toy 4 cyl involved I would say HANDS DOWN it is a better engine than anything else out there in that year range/mileage. (Nissan's 4 banger is a close second)

My Uncle/ASE Master Toyota Mechanic isn't a big fan of the 6cyl Toys...but thinks the world of the 4 bangers...the 4cyl engine is what the infamous Toyota reputation is built on...

Not sure if that helps... if you got serious and wanted him(my uncle) to give you more thoughts let me know!

Sam

One of the 4runners, a 89, has the 4 cyliner, but the thing uses antifreeze, and there are no drippings on the ground, so that means cracked head/block or blown head gasket. It's very clean and the one I'd prefer over the 90 6 cylinder model. Also going to check out another ZJ this afternoon!!

Gary "I need a DD now" R

Check out the important info section for lots of resources on toyota's

Here are a few things to keep in mind.

The 3.0L v6 is no hot rod motor and there is a TSB on the head gaskets. While some of these motors blow the head gaskets other do not. The 3.0 is still a very well made motor and many will go well into the 200k range or more. If you are looking at one ask about the head gasket and who did it. Toyota was doing it with all OE parts for very little out pocket. Im not sure if they are still doing it or not or what combo of age/miles the campain was/is good for?

Also in 90' the 4runners went to a coil sprung rear suspension I think its a 4 link design and this is the same year of a redsigned body now with 4 doors.

85' was the last year for a solid axle.
I think 86 was the 1st year for the v6

The autos are strong enough but really suck up the power, however all the autos use a chain driven tcase as to the others that are gear driven.

All the runners IFS are the same up to 95.5' all parts will swap, keep mind that some have auto hubs ( not as good or strong as manual).

all the rear thirds up until this last body style are 8inch thirds and will inter change with each other. The v6 3rd is a little beefier then 4cyl. 3rd diffrent case, bearings, and gear thickness.

Thanks for the info. The 90 4runner I looked at today had a pretty rough interior so I'll probably pass, plus there was an oil leak on the passenger side front, propably power steering pump. I was surprised to see the rear coil, 4 link suspension in it! Looking for a dependable daily driver that can get me thru the sand on the OBX once in a while since the XJ will not make that trip due to no AC and unruly swampers! Thanks!!

Gary

Back