Wheel Seal Dana 35

rbo1577186

So I finally hit my 500 miles after my gear change, time to change gear oil. I noticed a small drip of gear oil by my driver side backing plate. I did not change these seals at re gear time (my kit didn't come with them). I filled the diff housing until it poured out. I looked at my owners manual today and it said only fill it to 1/2" below the fill plug. Before doing this I checked my gear oil level and it's about 1/2" below the fill plug.Now my question is.......

Could this drip be from overfilling it??

Just in case I bought 2 seals. Looks like I just pry these out with a screwdriver and reseat the new ones with a big socket or something.

Do I add any RTV to the outside diameter of these seals?

Thanks for any help.

The drip is not caused by adding gear oil to the fill hole. The seals are worn out (most likely) due to the flexing of the axle housing. You've pretty much got the procedure down for chnging them out. Pull the axle shafts, pop out old seals with seal remover (or screwdriver), press new ones in, reassemble. RTV is unnecessary. HTH:beer:

OK, I get off my arse to do this today (thinking I'll be done in oh 2 1/2 hours or so) and I cannot get the damn seals out.................... after not getting anywhere with a screwdrive I break down and buy a seal puller. Now all I've managed to to is ding up the tip of my seal puller. I'm pulling like hell on this thing and nothing.... Hit it with penetrating fluid.... nothing...... Got mad as hell and had to walk off for a few..... Anyone got any tips??

I'm thinking I'll have to detatch the brake lines from the back of the drum backing plate ( I think that's what it's called), then remove the 4 bolts, then remove the brake assembly. From there I'll try to bend the rim of the seal out with a fine chisel or something. Then possibly use a screwdriver to get between the gap of the tube and seal and twist it out....

Thanks anyone who helps.....:wtf:

I just posted this on another BBS -
Too lazy to retype it, but I can copy & paste.
So here ya go.

The easiest & fastest way to get the seal out, is use the axle shaft.
When you pull the axle out, stop just as end of the shaft is about to clear the seal. Hook the button end in the lip of the seal (where the rubber meets the metal) and pry it out. Works slick. Much faster than putting the axle down and going to get the seal puller. One less tool to deal with.
For anyone thinking you might hurt the axle. Nope. If dropping 3500# worth of Jeep on it sideways doesn't hurt it, you are not going to bother it any prying out that little seal.

The axle shaft trick didn't work. I am so pissed............. I have completely mamed the seals. STILL NOT OUT.......................... I saw a wheel bearing removal tool online at harbor freight that you use a slide hammer with. Maybe I'll see if Advance or AZ will loan me one, if not I guess its another tool I'll have in my box............... ARHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGG........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A STUPID WHEEL SEAL................

OK I got the drivers side done, I had to.. remove the brake assembly to get to the seal better. From there I had to use a chisel with one flat side and tap it in between the axle tube and seal flange. Took a punch behind the pryed flange and finally tapped it out. What a pain............ Thanks for your help people.

Back