When it makes a noise....Listen!

lomodyj

Just wrapped up putting a new radiator, fan, fan clutch, fan shroud, belt and A/C compressor clutch/bearing/field coil on the CTD.

Last weekend on the way to Oak Ridge, Tenn (Royal Blue) the A/C quit working. I noticed it had melted through the field coil wires, and the bearing was making some noise...No worries, I've got windows...

Tuesday morning on my way to the farm...BLAMMO! Something went bad under the hood. Pulled over, grabbed the fire extinguisher and popped the hood...There was chit everywhere.

Looks like the A/C clutch/bearing let go, flung the belt, that got cought up in the fan that bent and grabbed a handful of radiator and obliterated the shroud.

Limped it the 2 miles home and started to tear the rest of it down. Given the 2 ball bearings left in the A/C clutch/bearing and the amount of dust and rust in the place of the others....It was well past the time for a new one...

Morgan Dodge in one of their rare moments came through with all my parts by Wednesday morning. Took me all day Wednesday and half of Thursday to put it all back together...Had to make up tools to pull the A/C clutch/bearing and to reinstall it...What a PITA! Wanted to do it without removing and evacuating the A/C, so that added to the difficulty...

Lesson learned: When it makes noise...Listen.

Back