Where?

URE is near Troy NC (do a mapquest). It's about a 2 hour ride from the SE Raleigh (Cary) area. We have 16 miles of trail that are "owned" by the National Forest Service. There is a good mix of Mud, Rocks and trail rididng.

For a good collection of pics over the last couple of years you can surf to my Jeep page. You can run all the trails in a stocker on a dry weekend. This past weekend with all the recent rain (and hail) some of the trails required being locked at both ends and big ol' mud tires...

What is a Yankee ?

Someone north of you!

I just looked up the area around troy on mapsource(mapping software for garmin GPS) and saw a crapload of 4 digit numerical roads everywhere. Are these forest roads?

A yankee is someone from up north that comes to visit.
A damn yankee is someone from up north that comes and stays...

There are still thousands of roads around here that use Rural Route numbers...Mostly 4 digit but can be up to 7 digit. If you can find HWY 109 north out of Troy, look for Mullinix road, then you are in the general area. Visit CNC4x4's web site for a good map

the 4 digit roads are probably county roads, FS roads are signs 3 digit, 553, 567, and a few others I cannot recall of hand.

I'm sure there is someone who can 'splain it better. been a long day.

To me, you are an "upper midwesterner" :)

You ever get over to Silver Lake Dunes much ?

I haven't been there since I was a kid, have always wanted to go back in my own under powered junk, just to play. ( My first REAL introduction to 4wheelin ! )

I was in the dune in a 72 K5 Blazer, belonged to a neighbor of the cabin we were renting, then we took one of the dune rides, they were driving modified International trucks with rows of seats and running DC3 aircraft tires.

Someday I'll get there with my kid, she'll love it.

Anyway, welcome and Uwharrie will be a nice diversion from the daily grind. DOn't forget, Tellico is just another 4.5 hours further west ! (6.5 hour trip from Cary )

Kevin

found it, thanks!

At what point does a yankee become a damn yankee? I'll stay for quite a while but not forever :D

Back