Which ones?

YJJPWrangler87

Which Diesel?

Well, my parents approached me tonight with the prospect of getting another vehicle to be a DD so the Jeep can become trail only type. A car is out of the question and a small truck is to. I want something that can SAFELY TOW a Wrangler/Cherokee so it can't be a 1500 or F150. I Really want a Diesel...but as to the make, I know everyone says Cummins is the way to go but honestly I want something that will be reliable and that it can Haul around an 18'trailer/Jeep. I am not real partial to any brand. Just looking for something good. Gas motor can be had to..but like i said, I want a 2500/250 or the like..not a F150 or 1500. Looking to spend around 8000 and down...94 and up. Any ideas?
Zack

I'm no diesel expert by any means. However, from my own research I've noticed most people like you said jump for a Cummins. People are having trouble with Ford auto tranny's, go with a manual. The PSD 6.0 is trouble, 7.3 is a good solid motor. GM 6.5TD isn't the best, and has awful mileage IMHO(I've personally towed with a 3500 and it just doesn't have the power that the new diesels do, and I got 7mpg with 2 cars behind me :(). However, I've towed with my Uncle's Duramax and its great! Way more power. If you go Chevy, stick with the new stuff. The 12v is a great motor from what I understand, as with the 24v. Haven't heard too much about people having trouble with Dodge tranny's so I would guess you could take your pick. I'd say though from what I see people bring to the trail.....a CTD, manual tranny is the way to go!

Ford 6.0s bring teh suck...as for the Dodge auto..i've heard they aren't all to good. I'm leaning towards the 12v just cuz its so simple to turn up the power, and its a Great motor. 2wd or 4wd really doesn't matter to me..if its 4wd awesome, if not oh well, better gas mileage with the 2wd.

Zack

Sooo....anyone know of a 12v 5spd reasonably priced. The exterior/interior doesn't have to be perfect but it doesn't need to be paint peeling, no cloth on the seats type deal. No major mechanical repairs. Anyone?

Zack

I'll just echo what has been said.

Cummins is the most dependable engine hands down (of course I could be biased), the down side is it is wrapped in a Dodge...

Power Stroke ok. 03 and early 04 6.0 are TROUBLE... You can find hella good deals on 03s siiting around with low mileage, you wont be one of the lucky ones, they are all crap... early 7.3s will run damn near forever, but lack a little power, late 6.0s are ok, but more costly.

6.5 isnt really even a diesel IMO, and the duramax that are worth having are again late model enough to drive the price up.

So, join the hunt. Looking for a 12v Cummins for a good deal...

who needs a gas saver :)

Also.. Amanda's jeep is comming up.. if you get a truck are you also looking at something that can pull both on a bigger trailer?

Back