Who can charge Nitrogen shocks?

YellowjeepCj

I have a 4 link rear suspension with Sway-Away nitrogen shockes on the rear of my YJ. I recently added a spare tire carrier and a 38 inch swamper spare. I now need to recharge the shocks to adjust the ride height.

Does anyone know of anyone that can do this?

Tar Heel can't and others that use nitrogen to fill tires cannot provide the high pressures. I think it will need between 200 and 500 PSI charge.

I emailed Truggies yesterday about it.

If you're going to run them you ought'a buy you a little setup to do it. The last small stamped/certified bottle at National Welders I bought straight out was like $75. Then you just need the regulators and fittings so you can fine tune it on your rig.

We have the 3,500lb bottles where I work for struts and such.

And, I was thinking, since Unamix/Stargon is an inert gas, could you not run this in those? Then you could just use your mig set up for your shocks - just a thought, not sure if Unamix/Stargon is real temp unstable or the molecules are that much different in size than straight nitrogen.

Probably not a bad idea to get your own stuff.

I talked with Truggies today and they are not set up at the moment to be able to do this. he has the equipment but is on loan out of state and should have it returned in a month or so.

I picked up a Nitrogen tank today at National Welders Supply but they did not have a regulator that would provide anymore than 125 PSI delivery pressure. Anyone know the manufacturer and model number of a regulator that will yeild at least 500 PSI on the delivery side?

National Welders can't get them? I think the counter guy is not doing his homework.

Grainger has them from output of 30 psi to 6000psi. You'll have to find someone with an account in your area and have them buy it for you, they don't do walk in without an account.

Remember you'll need a high pressure hose made up also. At work we use Lubrimation in Charlotte to make up our high pressure hoses - they are fairly reasonable and have lot's of hoses and fitting to choose from. They might have high pressure regulators, never thought to ask them. They do walk ins without an account, they made up the hoses for my hydro assist.

they should have an inert gas regulator that goes up to 600 psi on the low pressure side. National Welders is where I got mine. I can't remember, but I think its a Victor. Don't know a model number, but it goes up to about 500 or 550 psi. I'll have to check.

Edit: A quick look in the National Welders catalog has several that will work

Victor, VICSR600-550-580, high pressure, for inert gas regulator, 5-550 psi on low pressure

there are others that will work, but they go up to 750lbs on the low pressure side. I'd think you'd want the 550 low pressure side for better "fine-tuning"

Yes sir, Got a Victor regulator 0-500 psi from National Welders, had NAPA make a 5800 psi hose with fittings. Lifted the Jeep with a back hoe and charged the shocks to 325 psi. The air chucks are the weak link anything over 300 psi destroys them. I ruined 3 of them before I got the shocks charged and Jeep leveled. I will be looking for a high pressure chuck. Thanks.

You are right about needing the HP Shrader valve connector. I will order one. This will work good with my set up. I will connect to my 1/4 ntp male with a 1/4 to 1/8 female adapter. This will eliminate the chuck. Great idea.

ori is a nice kit. I have about 1/2 of the price for the ori gage and hoses in my bottle, gas, hose, regulator and all.

My buddy with the late model dirt car has the fittings to do this (schrader and ohlins needle style), he said $15 each to charge if you want...fair price? I don't know.

If I was to buy the equipment to do this myself what would be a fair price? I'd just duplicate what we use at work on the aircraft struts and accumulators. Probably build a cage to charge them in (in case an old shock decided it was time to turn to confetti). Let me know or should I just build it and they will come?

$15 that is a fair price. However, you need to be able to charge them on the vehicle. I was trying to reset my ride height. There is probably a need for folks to need to have them charged. I put together a system to charge mine for a little less than 1/2 what the kits cost.

If you have airshocks, the bottom line is you need a N kit, or at least one to pass around amongst your friends:flipoff2:. They are not fill it once and you're done.

"They are not fill it once and you're done" - I agree completely.
I knew that, no matter how nice (even the 50K ones on the airplanes) they'll eventully start to leak and you need the setup. Thought maybe people who knew what they already wanted (psi) would have an alternative if they didn't have access. My buddy with the dirt car knows what psi for each track and track conditions and services them at the track. Rebuilds them about 1/3rd of the way thru the season.

But, if you're running airshocks I think you'd buy your own stuff eventually like yellowjeepcj did.

I think you will want to adjust pressures from time to time. I have found they are not one and done. I think once you have a handle on how your rig works you can predispose the pressures you will need. In my case I have two air shocks but have buddy building a buggy and will have 4 air shocks. It made sense to own the equipment to charge them.

This is a REALLY old thread, but I have been searching for someone to charge my Icon coilovers with nitrogen. Havent had any luck really. Any chance you still have the equipment to do this?

I do but my low pressure gauge is busted as I dropped something on it. So, there is no way of knowing the pressure. I hadn’t done much with it as I now just use it to fill tires.

I do but my low pressure gauge is busted as I dropped something on it. So, there is no way of knowing the pressure. I hadn’t done much with it as I now just use it to fill tires.
Gotcha. I saw another thread on here about putting a fill kit together. Looked a lot easier/cheaper than I would have guessed based on looking at website that sell this type of gear. Do I really need something like this to fill up my Icons to 200psi:

Or will this simple regulator/hose/chuck setup work:

I dont understand why the separate fill tool thing is needed.

I just have a nitrogen tank with a high and low pressure gas regulator I picked up from the welding supply along with a 10’ long hydraulic hose and a high pressure air Chuck. Was pretty cheap to put together. Not sure if any of those other kits have anything more than necessary or know how they work as I don’t have any experience with them.

Back