Who has done rockers and cams on a pentastar?

willness33

Here for the memes
Garbage 3.6L in the wife's jeep has the failed rocker bearing tick at nearly 190k miles. Options are junkyard 3.6, do the rockers, cam (if necessary) and lifters, or stuff in a junkyard 5.7 if it's fairly simple. I honestly haven't researched that option yet. For now it will just keep being driven and I'll see if it grenades. Has anyone done the parts replacements and if so where did you get said parts, are you satisfied with the quality of said parts? 5.7 swap would be cool but I'm not sure the already marginal nsg370 would hold up to actual torque.

Garbage 3.6L in the wife's jeep has the failed rocker bearing tick at nearly 190k miles. Options are junkyard 3.6, do the rockers, cam (if necessary) and lifters, or stuff in a junkyard 5.7 if it's fairly simple. I honestly haven't researched that option yet. For now it will just keep being driven and I'll see if it grenades. Has anyone done the parts replacements and if so where did you get said parts, are you satisfied with the quality of said parts? 5.7 swap would be cool but I'm not sure the already marginal nsg370 would hold up to actual torque.
I’ve done a few. Dealer sourced parts are cheap. I did them without removing cams. Carefully unbolt the cam retainers and rock the cam one way or the other and it’s possible. Not fun but a lot better than the alternative.

I’ve done a few. Dealer sourced parts are cheap. I did them without removing cams. Carefully unbolt the cam retainers and rock the cam one way or the other and it’s possible. Not fun but a lot better than the alternative.
Any idea what the "pay the man" price would be? I'll do it myself if need be but I despise working on this engine. I have a number threshold in my head that will be the deciding factor.

I am wondering why the Pentastar is garbage when they last at least 190k? Yes, generally speaking we modern humans are spoiled with vehicles that last a fantastically long time but seriously, it is a gas engine with 190k on it. And it still runs. Just a few decades ago mileage like this with the economy and performance that come with it would be a dream. Now it seems everyone expects everything to last forever. I do not give Jeep any slack for the crappy oil cooler design on that engine, however. That is just atrocious.

Let's not forget that the 5.7s are just as bad about valvetrain issues.

I am wondering why the Pentastar is garbage when they last at least 190k? Yes, generally speaking we modern humans are spoiled with vehicles that last a fantastically long time but seriously, it is a gas engine with 190k on it. And it still runs. Just a few decades ago mileage like this with the economy and performance that come with it would be a dream. Now it seems everyone expects everything to last forever. I do not give Jeep any slack for the crappy oil cooler design on that engine, however. That is just atrocious.
A few decades ago?lol YMMV but I've thrown more parts at this engine and my daughter's than any other vehicle I've owned. With modern oils, I'd bet older rigs would have enjoyd the same reliability. Shit, I DD a 258 with more miles than the jk and I trust it more.

Let's not forget that the 5.7s are just as bad about valvetrain issues.
Just the crappy ones in the the SUVs and half-tons that have MDS. And the 6.4 with MDS. My 2012 2500 has a "straight up" 5.7 without that crap and I expect it to last a while yet. 150k and counting...

Back