who knows about the croatan?

92illpony

i'm new to 4wheelin. just got a lifted ranger and i'm dying to go play. i live in jacksonville nc and the croatan is really close. i heard there are some pretty big mud holes there. i have 35's on the ranger. any information would be great and or company on a trip would be even better. would be great to know where to stay away from as well. thanks, JOE

I've been there before and it was the last time.

Nasty, nasty black mud. After 2 days of it sitting on my paint, I had permanent black stains on the paint.

I had a buddy get his FSJ stuck not 50 yards off of the road. It took him, me, 3 days of winching, and 3 wreckers ($350) to get him out. And he had 44" boggers with lockers front and rear with 300hp motor. Burned up my winch and his trying to pull him out.

Rob

i've read some horror stories about that place. an old guy i work with said i'd prolly get stuck within sight of the road.

I grew up wheeling around the croatan and it isnt all that bad, you just need to make wise decisions as to which trails to go on and when to call it quits. There is absolutely nothing out there but mud and trees. If you are coming from jacksonville then take 58 when you get to maysville and hop on catfish lake road from there. Plenty of turn offs if you want to ride trails, find mudholes, etc. I'd consider getting a map or using GPS if you get too far in the woods because it's easy to get lost. And be safe- ive seen all sorts of craziness while riding around.

thats exactly what I did. I took catfish lake road and hit one of the turnoffs down there a while. we spent the next 3 days within sight of the road.

DAMN that place!!!

Rob

been twice, got lost twice..and catfish road is too dangerous for my liking. Everytime I get on rocks or dirt I wanna drift like an idiot, and people fly down that road going like 90.

I hate catfish lake road.

Yeah, I haul a$$ down that road and almost lost it a couple times. Never again. That road is way too long to go 15mph down.

If you go, make sure you and your buddies are very well equiped for deep mud. And when you get back out to the gravel road, stay far back from each other because that black mud stays in the tires, collects rocks, and throws them out behind the truck. That sucks. Luckally only got a few scratches and a small dent.

Rob

Back