windows XP prof. clock

orange150

i cant get my stupid dumb clock to set right on windows XP Professional. i can change it, but as soon as i reboot it goes back an hour. and also how come it doesnt automatically update like it did with every other windows up until now.

aww man, i was getting by for so long without that underage user tag!! haha.

Not if it's an hour behind and keeping time. Bios might not be correcting for DST.

orange150 said:

Your bios is the software that controls your motherboard and it's accessories. To be honest, if you don't know what the bios is, you may want to get the assistance of your local computer geek friend, but here you go.

The first thing I would check is to make sure your time settings in Windows are correct. You can verify them by either double-clicking the time display in the system try or by going to Start, Control Panel, Date and Time. Your Windows time settings should show the correct time, it should have you in the Eastern Time zone and the check box for "Automatically adjust clock for daylight savings changes" should be checked on the Time Zone tab. If those settings are all correct, then you'll want to take a look at the bios settings.

When you start your computer, depending on the brand, you should see a quick screen that says press <key> to enter setup. The key you push is usually one of the function keys, but it can also be a key combo, like shift+delete. Hitting that proper key or keys will launch you into the bios.

Once in the bios setup, you should see settings that relate to the harddrives and such. You should also see a system time. This is the system time that Windows uses. If that system time is off from the current time you can try changing it in the bios. If the time doesn't hold between times when you turn the power off, as the other guys said, it could be a battery problem. The batteries are pretty easy to replace, in most cases, but again, if that is your issue, I'd probably enlist the help of a geek.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

well i set it to eastern time and it said that it was 1 30 when it's really 12 30. and also the daylight savings thingy was already checked. evil computers. if it helps my comp is a Dell Inspiron 8600. guess i tamper with the bios thing later on and see if thats it.

Back