WJ Blend Doors

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Mine does NOT have dual climate control.
Symptoms:
With A/C on and temperature setting at the lowest setting, sometimes the passenger side vents blow warm or even hot air while the driver side blows cool or cold air.

What I've done so far:
Removed the glove box so I could observe Blend door actuator. It works properly. I removed the actuator and could turn the shaft on the blend door by hand and hear at least 1 blend door moving.

What I think is wrong:
I think that maybe the passenger side blend door is broken or at least not moving like it should, thus warm air on the passenger side and cool air on driver side. When the door is down, that is the 'heat' position. Up is 'cool' position.

Question:
Is there a way to fix this without removing the entire dash like the tech manual says? If not, does anyone have a shop they'd recommend to tackle this? If the dash has to come out, I want to make sure it doesn't rattle after it goes back in.

I've found a company that offers a kit to replace the plastic blend doors with metal doors and you don't remove the dash, they show you where to cut the blend door assembly to get to it. http://www.heatertreater.net/ They have videos showing installation. I emailed them today and asked some questions and they responded pretty quickly. I may give it a try. Worst case is it didn't fix it and I'm out around $150. Best case is I fix it and save over $1000 by not paying a dealership to do it.

a lot of the jeepforum guys are happy with the heater treater. It is most likely the door itself is broken. For some reason, the engineers set it up to calibrate itself periodically by jamming open all the way, then jamming shut all the way. So that routine with a strong actuator coupled with a cheap plastic door don't go well together. I had mine replaced at a dealer many years ago with the stronger door, but it cost $1200 for all the labor. Next time I'll be heater-treating.

a lot of the jeepforum guys are happy with the heater treater. It is most likely the door itself is broken. For some reason, the engineers set it up to calibrate itself periodically by jamming open all the way, then jamming shut all the way. So that routine with a strong actuator coupled with a cheap plastic door don't go well together. I had mine replaced at a dealer many years ago with the stronger door, but it cost $1200 for all the labor. Next time I'll be heater-treating.
I just ordered the heater-treater. $125 shipped. I'll keep everyone posted.

How different to replace the blend door for 2006 Jeep grand cherokee. I'm having issues and like to do it myself.

0548f7cd932f198145d1f85a44389267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, my 10+ year old thread has risen!
But to answer @Bonnie_18 question. I’m not sure about a 2006 model, but that 2002 model was easy. The scary part was cutting the duct because it is right at the heater core. Don’t want to cut that. But once you’ve made the cut, the replacement is easy. Then use duct tape to reattach the part of the duct you cut out. There are YouTube videos out there that show how to do it.

Back