WJ Grand Cherokee Dual Battery Setup Questions

NCJeepin

OK. I have a ton of electrical equpt on my WJ... I have 6 385K candle power KC daylighters, I have 2 500Watt hellas, I have a 2000 Watt amp, strobes in the head and tail lights, red lights in the rear glass on on the grill.. A ton of power usage..... It seems most of my power is run to the rear of the jeep. for the roof rack lighting, amp, strobe box, etc... My spare tire well is empty. i was wondering if it would be ok to run a dual battery setup with a Optima sealed battery in the spare tire well and all my accessories running from that optima battery, having a heavy gauge battery cable runing from under the hood, back there to charge the battery from the alternator.. i guess hooking it all up with a Isolator... does this sound like a good plan?

With an optima i figured saftey is not much of a factor since there will be no gases or leaking unless damage or failure of the batter occured....

Please give me so ideas, because right now i have all kinds of wires running up and down inside my floor trim and it just feels like its a fire hazzard waiting to happen.

i need something that will clean it up a little bit, because i am looking to rewire the whole accessory system this weekend or next week... thanks for any help.

is all of that stuff really needed?

not to knock it, but rather than do all the work to run the dual set up, at least how you are talking, could you not eliminate some of the electrical demands instead?

if you cant, just make sure all of your connections are sealed and the isolator will handle the type of draw you are looking for

ditch at least 4 of those hellas, they are just asking to get ripped off by a tree

Sounds as if it will work. Use as big of cable as you can, I suggest 00, at least a 2 guage. The Isolater will keep it charged and keep the starter from drawing from the rear Battery.

ridefast said:
is all of that stuff really needed?
not to knock it, but rather than do all the work to run the dual set up, at least how you are talking, could you not eliminate some of the electrical demands instead?
if you cant, just make sure all of your connections are sealed and the isolator will handle the type of draw you are looking for

I have 6 385K candle power KC daylighters = Gotta see at night, 4 up top and 2 on the grill guard

I have 2 500Watt hellas = gotta see behind me at night

NOTE: The two above really help at a Fire Scene.

I have a 2000 Watt amp = I havn't grown out of the BASS thing yet, gotta have my jams!

strobes in the head and tail lights, red lights in the rear glass and on the grill = Gotta be able to get to that fire or rescue call safely and efficently....

Back