Wrangler having trouble in 5th gear

rushdunaway

Today when i shifted into 5th my YJ began to make a weird noise. It is hard to hear with doors and top off, but the only thing i can describe it as is similar to a hole in the exhaust system. I downshifted back to 4th, and noise went away, put it back in 5th and there was the noise again. I have no idea what this could be. Any help or opinions are appreciated. I have not lost any power or anything like that, it just makes the awful sounding noise.
1992 4.0 manual YJ with 242. Lifted on 33's, and recent clutch work has been done if that matters. Thanks, Rush.

the bushing/bearing in the center section that hold the 5th shaft gets worn out big time, next 2nd and 3rd wont hold

you probably have the wonderful peugot transmission(piece of shit) Its always cheaper to replace it with a new one then it is to fix

I agree with Fattypackard. I also have one for sale if interested :beer:

Fatty sounds right to me. Mine was doing that in 2nd and 3rd. I thought it was just a bad input bearing, I changed the tranny fluid and BAM, it locked up on me. It was a bad cluster. I just replaced the tranny.

i am still stumped, i dont think it is coming from the tranny because 5th still engages/works fine and doesnt slip out or stop working on me. it doesnt sound like a bearing, its not a grinding noiose or anything like that. it just sounds like it is struggling, but only in fifth, and i think it might be coming from the engine. could this problem be related to the engine? :confused:
i am going to have to drive from charlotte, nc to tuscaloosa, al in about a week and dont want to have any problems with this, because i will obviously be in fifth the entire way there.

bearings dont "grind"
with a worn bearing your 5th gear wouldnt really "slip" or pop out.
all those symptoms happen if your actual 5th GEAR is worn/broken.

with all said....the 5th gear bearing in my CJ (T5 tranny) is worn and makes a slight noise when gassing it. no worries......i just keep driving it.

I was under the impression that 5th gear with tire's 32 or 33 or anything larger is kind of pointless in terms of gas saving...something I read a while back.

Any validity to this?

Back