Wrangler Transmission Issues

LBZ_Duramax

Going over my new project Jeep. I’ve never personally owned a Jeep, so I’m kinda flying blind on them. Here’s what I’ve found so far:
99 TJ 4.0
Auto Trans 32RH

Trans seems to work fine in forward gears, shifts and pulls with no slipping.

No reverse gear

Park seems to be some kind of gear, motor bogs and won’t idle in park or reverse. While in park and give throttle it acts like it wants to go forward.

No neutral, when in neutral it drives forward. Neutral behaves just like drive but I can’t find neutral at any point between D and R.

This is kind of a toy/weekend driver for my wife so a manual swap is out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you unhook the shift cable from the tranny and place it in neutral manually, what happens?
Worse case, have it rebuilt or grab a reman. Those are pretty trouble free units.

If you unhook the shift cable from the tranny and place it in neutral manually, what happens?
Worse case, have it rebuilt or grab a reman. Those are pretty trouble free units.

Nobody around here wants to even look at it, just sell a rebuild or reman without even seeing it.

I’m going to try that tomorrow afternoon and see. I’m getting prices from 1800-2800 for a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took shifter cable off and shifted manually at trans, same issue. Park engages but seems bound up in some way, still wont idle in park. Is it worth it to pull pan and see or just bite bullet and take to the trans shop?

Took shifter cable off and shifted manually at trans, same issue. Park engages but seems bound up in some way, still wont idle in park. Is it worth it to pull pan and see or just bite bullet and take to the trans shop?
Take to a shop in my opinion.
It's bound up enough that the fix will be more than a pan drop will show

Back