Xj as a tow rig for my yj ?

grnsanddemon

Grateful
I am getting an 99 xj sport on a good swap, totally stock, what can I do to make it a good tow rig for my 95 yj, my 95 is sligthly mod. And I will pulling a 16ft. Trailer?

Make it a 3/4 ton truck. Otherwise, keep that conglomeration off the road. The YJ alone likely exceeds the tow rating of the XJ. The trailer will only make it worse. My brother flat-towed a Triumph TR-4 (not a heavy load) from Fla up to NC, and it was hard on the XJ. It didn't overheat, but the tranny was getting warm, the brakes were marginal for the load, and it was a loooong trip. IOW, don't even think about towing with the XJ. That's not what it's built for. Forgot one thing, the XJ doesn't even have a real frame to attach a class 3 hitch to. The unibody will only hold so much on the hitch.

I second that idea, trade the xj for at a minimum a half ton truck.

Or post up here everytime you decide to pull anywhere, with your route plans so I can avoid the area.

I 3rd the above statements. You can sell the 99 XJ (if its in good enough condition) for enough to buy an older tow rig. That would be much safer. It would kill the XJ...or people who stop infront of you on the road.

x3, a unibody is not meant to tow a load. Even if it could pull it, stopping it and controlling it would be a totally different thing. I would say at the very least a 1/2 ton truck. I have a 4 door tahoe and I don't even think about towing my ZJ with it; that is why I am saving up for a 3/4 ton truck to be a tow rig.

Thanks guys, I didn't think it would work, but I thought I would ask. It looks like I'm going to have another trail rig. This just gives me reason to fully build my yj...:bounce2:

x3, a unibody is not meant to tow a load. Even if it could pull it, stopping it and controlling it would be a totally different thing. I would say at the very least a 1/2 ton truck. I have a 4 door tahoe and I don't even think about towing my ZJ with it; that is why I am saving up for a 3/4 ton truck to be a tow rig.
A tahoe would tow a zj or xj with ease....
On the xj side though...the hitch mounting points would proabbly rip off the unibody after much tuging around a yj and trailer.

i have a 96 ram 1500 longbed ex-cab i might would trade for your xj if your interested. only thing is it has a problem with the battery charging.

A tahoe would tow a zj or xj with ease....

I am not going to risk it, I don't have a tranny cooler, and the 5.7 is only rated to 5,000#s or so, and a decent trailer with the ZJ on it is going to be that much or more.

Back