XJ gurus

89wrangler

Not a new member
99 XJ issues, 4.0 / AW4
1) check engine light on and no reverse lights, getting a P705 code. From my research this is normally caused by NSS. Tried cleaning the one on there, but that did not work. So I replaced it. Adjusted it so it starts in park a d neutral, but still no reverse lights (bulbs are good) After erasing the code, went for a drive and the light came back on and still have the P705 code.
2) once I start vehicle in morning and take off, trans will not shift into 4th. If I turn off engine and restart it, the trans and lock up converter operates as normal. This is consistent each morning. Any thoughts what may be casing this?
thanks in advance

You can completely rule out the being faulty NSS by pinning your NSS plug manually. Plug is right behind the transmission dip stick.

129892d1342069780t-check-engine-light-code-p0705-jeep-nss-diagram.jpg

In my dealership days, I replaced a few valve body wire harnesses for issues such as this. The individual circuits would have acceptable resistance, but couldn't carry an electrical load.
Had to disconnect either end and apply a 12 volts through a light through the circuit with a jumper wire and pigtail.
That showed me which one was failed.
Pretty much made a Power Probe before they were on the market

Last edited:
In my dealership days, I replaced a few valve body wire harnesses for issues such as this. The individual circuits would have acceptable resistance, but couldn't carry an electrical load.
Had to disconnect either end and apply a 12 volts through a light through the circuit with a jumper wire and pigtail.
That showed me which one was failed.
Pretty much made a Power Probe before they were on the market
Sounds like a very effective procedure! My uncle got this incoming XJ project we'll work on after we finished installing the bumper and truck accessories on the current Silverado project. The XJ is also throwing P705 code.

Sounds like a very effective procedure! My uncle got this incoming XJ project we'll work on after we finished installing the bumper and truck accessories on the current Silverado project. The XJ is also throwing P705 code.
Let me know if you figure it out.

Back