YJ wheelbase stretch

marvilusone

How can I stretch the wheelbase of a YJ out to +/- 110" and keep the leaf springs? Do I just extend the frame some in the front and rear and move my perches or is there a different way? Also how is the steering setup on it if the frame is streched? Pics would help if anyone has them.

XJ springs in te rear. Flip them around from how they should sit and it will give 6". I was told they work in the front to. There is a guy named ERIK on here that did it. He has a thread in the photo gallery called STUCK. Hit him up.

yeah, erik did a build up thread showing how he did that... i dunno what his wb ended up at, but its about as far as you could go with a leaf springs without stretching the frame out...

of course you could stretch the rear out kinda like a scrambler to the desired length you want...

I just PMed him and let him know what I was doing. I actually saw his YJ at URE over Thanksgiving weekend and his is real close to the wheelbase I'm looking for. What my dilemma is is that I have a a lifted XJ and blew out the driver knuckle last Sunday at URE. I need more lift on the front as well as travel and need stronger axles for it too. I'll would be spending $600 for the RK LA kit and about $300 for the bracketry for the D44 f/r swap but would rather put that money(or less) as well as the set of D44's I have under the YJ if I can get the wheelbase stretched. I have one pair of stock XJ springs and two sets of new D44 perches already. I would rather build the YJ and it seems that it would be a little cheaper to do so in the end versus the XJ. I'm not made of money and I'm trying to get something back on the trails by the new year and I think I have most of the parts to build the YJ already. If any of you wre in my shoes what would you do? Let me know your opinions. I won't be offended by any of them.

I used rear Dakota leaves (54"), with a 32.5/21.5 center pin offset. Flipped mine around to the 32.5 in the front, which is about 10" longer than stock in the back. There are pictures of it in my build-up thread: http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29909

I used 4"x4" box tubing that I welded on the back of my frame rails.

I'm running wagoneer (actually J-10) leaf packs in the front. Didn't really want to mess with the steering box. It's stretched a foot overall.

Next question. Do I need to run a track bar on the front like it came from the factory or can I get rid of it? The YJ will be 95% trail use.

Get rid of it. If you're using the long, flexy leaves, you'll most likely want to look into some sort of anti-wrap bar to keep axle wrap down.

Here are two I have done, both using stock XJ's and stock Waggy's.

The black one has 4" added to both ends.
ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_Bradys_20Jeep_Bradysjeep022.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_Bradys_20Jeep_Bradysjeep015.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_Bradys_20Jeep_Bradysjeep034.jpg

ai74.photobucket.com_albums_i266_gogogadgetbiker_Clints_20Jeep_JeepStretchBuild029.jpg

That black YJ is really sharp. Is the steering box going to be relocated or is it going to be full hydro? I noticed that the spring and shackle hangers aren't outboarded - is that a 60 front? That looks nice... I want to do that to mine now, haha.

Back