Yota axle VS ford 8.8

I am partners on a 83 model toyo rig with welded rear. We have yota rear end stock besides gears and welded with 39 tsl's on it. 350 chevy and 350 trubo and 203 t-case. Has not Broken yet and does not seem to be having enytrouble at all. <We check consistanly>. I guess it depends on what you you plan on doing with it. We run it wide open all the time with apoximatly with 250hp behide it and no problems. <we all so off road pretty hard on trails and thing as such NO rock climding <not offense to enyone> this thing has taken everything that we have thrown at it> just my 2 cents.

jdubb said:
If the Mustangs with 500+ HP aren't eating up diffs, you might ask youself what you're doing wrong with the gear setup.

Uhh, doing nothing wrong.. 500 hp is alot of power, yes. but, oh wait, a 106hp 4 cylinder can put the same amount of power into an axle by first sending it through something no Mustang has.. a 4.7:1 transfer case. Let's also not forget that a Mustang runs a ~26 inch tire on an aluminum wheel, and with a 36 inch tire on a beadlocked steel wheel, you're putting a great deal more stress on the axle shafts, and I'll still say that no street car puts more stress on axle parts than a 4x4, especially a rock rig.

Maybe i'm missing something, but 2wd toy axles are the same pattern as newer jeeps. I dont care which one you get, your not gonna bust it with 35's

alright so now im semi confused..the newer 2wd toy's have the same lug pattern as the jeeps right?

thebluyak said:
alright so now im semi confused..the newer 2wd toy's have the same lug pattern as the jeeps right?

Yes, BUT they also have a puny 7.5" ring gear unless it's the aforementioned V6. I'm not sure if the 4-popper tacoma 2wd's still use the 7.5, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

alright correct me if im wrong, i might very well be. I am looking for a taco axle with 6 lug. 8 ring gear and 4.** gears with an eton locker. 2wd or 4wd? Now where is a good place to look for a lug adapter for my front axle? I think thats right, atleast what ive gathered so far.

My friend has a 4wd toy axle outta his '83 w/ open 4.10 gears. Let me know if you are interested and I could give you his number. The axle is in High Point. ;) -Josh

Ive been lookin for the damn adapters all day, all I can find is 5X4.5 to 5X5.5 which does my near notta good...Anyone know where im not looking? I checked Jeepin.com toyoffroad.com and like 5 different others.

Just take the Toy rear axles and drums to a machine shop, have the center step cut (toy drum center stepped to jeep wheel center, think dime sitting on a quarter) redrill the axles and drums to the jeep pattern and call it good. You could also swap in a FSJ 44 front, they are already 6 lug.

Why not just get one adapter and a spare tire? That way, you roll one tire, you put it on the front or the back (w/ the adapter front or rear, whatever) - just get 2 rims front and 2 rims rear. Who cares if the front or rear hangs out and extra 1 1/2"? Just get the hell out. I wouldn't piss the money away on a bunch of adapters / custom axles / rare axles, etc... Run it cheap and run it hard.

I would still need to sell my black D slot 5X4.5 and by some black 6 lugs. That sounds like the easiest thing to do im sure I can find those faily cheap. and the extra width in the rear doesnt bother me, I couldnt care less, if nothing I think it would look better

thebluyak said:
Ive been lookin for the damn adapters all day, all I can find is 5X4.5 to 5X5.5 which does my near notta good...Anyone know where im not looking? I checked Jeepin.com toyoffroad.com and like 5 different others.

Thats cus there isn't one.
You could always get some custom toy shafts made to match the front 5 on 4.5. that way you won't have to swap wheels.
Or rethink the whole TOY VS. 8.8 thing.

S.

Oh hahahaha I feel like a dumbass now. Im also thinking about the ford 9" I got a little bit of time to decide and think before I need to take any action so Ill be considering all of them

There are two Tacoma 4x4 axles. There's the 8 incher with the e-locker, which is based on the stronger 8 inch V6 axle, and there's the 213 mm which is used in the Taco and the Tundra, but the widths are different. It has a bigger ring and pinion, and there are plenty of 'em in the yards.

If you get a Tacoma 4WD rear axle with 3rd member in it, which is mo' stronger than the Toy 8 incher, and use the axle shafts from the 2WD V6 Taco, you'll have the right combo. Trouble is, the 2WD V6 shafts are, like the whole axle assemblies, rare at best, and new shafts are as pricy as aftermarket axles, maybe more.

As fer me, I'd go for the Taco 213 mm 4x4 rear and swap the D44 front like Ratman suggested.

Rich said:
Uhh, doing nothing wrong.. 500 hp is alot of power, yes. but, oh wait, a 106hp 4 cylinder can put the same amount of power into an axle by first sending it through something no Mustang has.. a 4.7:1 transfer case. Let's also not forget that a Mustang runs a ~26 inch tire on an aluminum wheel, and with a 36 inch tire on a beadlocked steel wheel, you're putting a great deal more stress on the axle shafts, and I'll still say that no street car puts more stress on axle parts than a 4x4, especially a rock rig.
Sure, they don't get near as much abuse dropping the hammer on those 26inch racing slicks at the dragstrip and its a lot less heat I guess too. Besides weren't we talking about the gears? I've seen gears set up jobs on 4x4s that would be eaten alive at any race track. But I will admit the pinions in a 4x4 tend to be at lot smaller for a given axle type. What design of the 8.8 causes the gears be weak, the cetner section or the pitch of the teeth, etc.?

Back