yota axles

rear shafts are pretty darn strong stock, aftermarket shafts aren't that popular. 38" tires seem to be no problem according to pirate. I have 38's on my 4runner, but haven't wheeled it hard

I'm gonna be runnin 39.5 IROKS on chromemoly shafts but I think stock rear shafts would hold up pretty well(ever seen the comparison to a D60?) and they're cheap/not that hard to come by at the j-yard. I've heard of plenty of people that that beat on stock rear shafts with 38's and no problems.

guys on pirate can and do frequently break stock rears. once you get past 38's, you need chromo rear shafts. with 30spl longs, cryo'd gears and 6 pin hubs you can beat the shit out of them with 4ds and they will hold up

A good friend of mine runs 42" iroks on stock rear shafts and has been for probably 8 trips. No problems. And he is not easy on it.

I would recommend cryo treating the ring & pinion in the rear axle, and use a V6 third member and gears.

It really depends on your gearing & weight. one of Slee offroad's buddies from Colorado has a minitruck named "the raisin" and runs 40's or 42's on toyota axles.. FJ-80 front, and minitruck rear with a V6 third. Chromo shafts front & rear, and 30-spline longs.

Slee's FJ-80 still weighs over 5,000lbs and uses FJ-80 axles F&R, but those are total overkill for a zuke.

JMHO - Keep the rotating mass light (aluminum wheels & radials - Krawlers?) and on 37's, you'll spank bigger tire rigs allll day long.

And yes, there's room in the minitruck diff to shave it, should you desire. ;)

Metto said:
raisin runs 44s

I don't think he was on 44's in TX... could be wrong tho. At any rate, BIG tires for a 'yota axle, and he drives that thing like he hates it. :burnout:

from his thread on pirate he upgraded to a front diamond housing and has been running 44's.

Well then.. He did have the diamond axle housing in the front in TX, guess they were 44's then..

Back