Zj>44 Questions!

C.Berry

Bad News
Im attempting to put a 44 front out of a waggy under my zj the question i have is, can i do this without and special tools that a normal garage wouldnt have also i was told that i would have to cut the knuckles off and weld them back on if so why??? Im not a newbie just dunno what im stepping into i suppose any advise would be great!!! :beer:

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that a passenger side drop on that axle? A ZJ is driver side drop, at least mine is.
Not all were passy drop. Some years were driver's drop. Can't tell you exact specifics though.

Waterdog, if by normal garage, you mean a garage with metal cutting tools and a welder AND someone to weld the control arm and track bar brackets onto the 44, then yes. Normal garage rules apply. I don't think you'll need to cut the knuckles off to set caster. You could probably get away with getting it pretty close (keeping in mind your pinion angle) with adjustable control arms. Oh, don't forget about those pesky 6 lug wheels you'll need to buy to work with that axle and some 5 on 4.5 to 6 lug spacers for the rear.

Not all were passy drop. Some years were driver's drop. Can't tell you exact specifics though.
Waterdog, if by normal garage, you mean a garage with metal cutting tools and a welder AND someone to weld the control arm and track bar brackets onto the 44, then yes. Normal garage rules apply. I don't think you'll need to cut the knuckles off to set caster. You could probably get away with getting it pretty close (keeping in mind your pinion angle) with adjustable control arms. Oh, don't forget about those pesky 6 lug wheels you'll need to buy to work with that axle and some 5 on 4.5 to 6 lug spacers for the rear.
Damn you just made my week.... Caster angle is only thing i didnt know about!!! and yes i mean thats a normal garage!! :beer::beer::beer:

It is driver drop 6 lug and it is NOT the vac D44 either i believe it was off of 84 or 85!!!

Not sure on how much you want to spend, but you could go ahead and get a passport or rodeo dana 44 and swap that into the rear. gearing could be 4.10 4.30 or 4.56 and could also come with trac lock. That would give you an upgraded rear with the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern...

Just had this swap done on my ZJ. You do not need to cut off the knuckles. You do need all new brackets for the control arms. The lugs are 6x5.5, so you have several options for the rear to match. You obviously will need to regear the front and rear.

My Bad, I'm by no means a waggy aficionado.
Just had this swap done on my ZJ. You do not need to cut off the knuckles. You do need all new brackets for the control arms. The lugs are 6x5.5, so you have several options for the rear to match. You obviously will need to regear the front and rear.
You can always cut the original brackets off the stock axle and reuse them. This is what I did when I put a 8.8 under my ZJ.

Sounds good im just throwing the 44 under it for the time being thinking bout putting tons under it in the near future!? not sure tho???

Appreciate all the help!

My Bad, I'm by no means a waggy aficionado.
No biggie. I only know from digging around the junkyard and seeing what will work on my TJ. I've been considering a waggy 44 for mine, but can't see going 6 lug. I just made beadlocks a few years ago and don't want to make another set quite yet.
You can always cut the original brackets off the stock axle and reuse them. This is what I did when I put a 8.8 under my ZJ.
You can, but I personally hate the thought of an upgrade and cheaping out on bracketry. I've bent way too many stock jeep axle brackets. Not trying to argue, just sayin.

You can, but I personally hate the thought of an upgrade and cheaping out on bracketry. I've bent way too many stock jeep axle brackets. Not trying to argue, just sayin.
I can see the LCA's being heaver duty after market ones but everything else should be fine, especially if he is going ton's later. No reason to drop $$$ on something that might be useless to him later.

BTW, I think I'd stick with your bolt pattern too if I'd just made bead locks for'em.

Gonna be hard to cut off the upper control arm mount that is cast into the center section and reuse that......you will need to fab something up for that one at least.

Reusing the rest is possible but a huge PITA......I would get the front bracket kit from Clayton's or RE.

www.eastcoastgearsupply.com can hook you up.

Back