ZJ front axle question

98zjstroker

Hey guys, I have some quick questions on the different zj years for front axles.

I have a 98zj Laredo with the 4.0. It has the D30 with 3.55 gear ratio on it (I assume its not the HP). Now I picked up a ford 8.8 rear a while back and am finally pushing through my ADHD and ready to get the bracket kit for it to install on my ZJ. The 8.8 comes with LSD and 3.73 gears which I don't want to change. Now obviously that means I need to swap out the gears on the d30 to 3.73 as well. Now a quick internet search I found 3.73 ring and pinions for the d30 for $300-400. Now with the arctic bracket kit running almost $600 plus having it professionally welded on the 8.8 already puts me around $1k after all the extra little things I will need for it. So for my bank accounts health I am trying to save where I can.

I recently found a front axle out of a 94zj with the v8 and 3.73 gears for $125. obviously much cheaper and I have never changed out ring and pinions before (i know I can figure it out if/when needed) but I feel this would just be the easier and cheaper way to go. My question is would swapping out my d30 for the 94 v8 d30 be as simple as pulling mine and replacing it with the v8 one? I assume its a d30 like mine and since it comes from a ZJ should all the mounts not be the exact same? Or is there something I dont know? Also can anyone tell me if the 94 v8 would be a HP axle or just the standard axle?

Sorry I meant for this to be a quick easy question but wanted to make sure I was giving enough information just in case it was needed. As always thanks and hopefully soon I will have this damn thing on the trails having fun!

All ZJ should be LP from factory IIRC. If it were my I'd buy the 3.73 front and swap it in. Should bolt right in place.

All ZJ should be LP from factory IIRC. If it were my I'd buy the 3.73 front and swap it in. Should bolt right in place.
No difference in abs ring or anything between 94 and 98? I wasn't sure so didn't answer.

No difference in abs ring or anything between 94 and 98? I wasn't sure so didn't answer.
Not 100% sure but the ABS ring is on the axle isn't it? In fact the 94 might not have ABS?

Not 100% sure but the ABS ring is on the axle isn't it? In fact the 94 might not have ABS?
Yeah, abs shafts have a tone ring out near the u joint. I've pulled and run d30 shafts with the ring but in TJs without ABS. Not sure if the 98 ZJ would have ABS and need the ring.

He could always swap his 98 shafts into the 94 housing if needed though.

Housings will swap as others said and the ABS is very similar between them. I'd swap your ABS sensors to the donor knuckles.
For reference sake, the 98 housing will be a TJ housing (short pinion style) and your existing one is a long pinion style D30. Just for sake of service parts and such.

for what it's worth, I've ran 3.55 and 3.73 for years now on several rigs (just happened that way from buying 1Tons or current rig 8.8 was the same thing) and honestly contrary to popular belief, your axles/t-case/trans will never know the difference...just an FYI, that could save you that $125 and all the labor to swap. I'm not the only one whose done it, just probably the only one who admits it LMBO

You got the answers here, so I won’t re-hash those. Just for searching posterity, the V8 ZJs came with the 3.73 gears and the 4.0s came with 3.55 (as a rule of thumb of course. All were LP, the XJ D30 was HP and is also a direct bolt in swap to a ZJ but I am unsure if they were ever offered with 3.73.

The rear factory ZJ axles also have some nuances but with the 8.8 swap you aren’t worried about those.

FWIW, I had a 8.8 rear in both of my ZJs and have one in my current TJ; needless to say I am a fan of them :smokin:

You got the answers here, so I won’t re-hash those. Just for searching posterity, the V8 ZJs came with the 3.73 gears and the 4.0s came with 3.55 (as a rule of thumb of course. All were LP, the XJ D30 was HP and is also a direct bolt in swap to a ZJ but I am unsure if they were ever offered with 3.73.

The rear factory ZJ axles also have some nuances but with the 8.8 swap you aren’t worried about those.

FWIW, I had a 8.8 rear in both of my ZJs and have one in my current TJ; needless to say I am a fan of them :smokin:

Yes the 3.73 was found in the early 84 - 86 XJ. Rare but can be found in them.

for what it's worth, I've ran 3.55 and 3.73 for years now on several rigs (just happened that way from buying 1Tons or current rig 8.8 was the same thing) and honestly contrary to popular belief, your axles/t-case/trans will never know the difference...just an FYI, that could save you that $125 and all the labor to swap. I'm not the only one whose done it, just probably the only one who admits it LMBO
As long as the front gears are higher (lower numerically) you can get away with it as long as you only use 4wd on soft surfaces. Mud race trucks have been doing it forever to be able to steer. If the front tires are spinning faster the front end will pull and steer better. If front tires spin slower the rear tires will push straight.

Thanks to everyone. It never seems to fail coming in here and getting the answers I need!

@skyhighZJ, Just to confirm my old (3.55) axle shafts will swap directly into the new (3.73) housing? I just noticed the d30 from the v8 has cv style axles while mine does not.

@Jody Treadway, would I not need to swap knuckles if the new axle as cv style shafts and mine don't? I mean great if I don't less work the more time for drinking

Thanks to everyone. It never seems to fail coming in here and getting the answers I need!

@skyhighZJ, Just to confirm my old (3.55) axle shafts will swap directly into the new (3.73) housing? I just noticed the d30 from the v8 has cv style axles while mine does not.

@Jody Treadway, would I not need to swap knuckles if the new axle as cv style shafts and mine don't? I mean great if I don't less work the more time for drinking
Knuckles are the same. You can swap CV shafts for joint shafts and vice versa.

My 84 xj had cv shafts that I swapped for u joint shafts.

Back