ZJ set up?

cranberry

Complete NOOB questions...

OK....so here's the deal. I posted the other day asking about what lift kit you guys suggested for my 97 ZJ. (Thanks for the replies BTW)

I think I have decided on a 4.5 short arm kit with OME springs, quick discos, adjustable arms and 32's. This rig is completely stock with a 4.0L, auto, and a 242 TC. I want to do medium level trail riding/crawling but it has to stay a daily driver.
My question is what other mods/gear do you guys suggest I get? I assume I'll need a trail jack (if thats the correct term) and a winch.

Oh and what the hell are soft 8's?

Here are a few other things you will want to think about, need. You will need an adjustable front track bar to re-center your front axle. You may also want to think about extended brake lines (in the front), but some poeple do get away with just pulling some slack into their stock ones. You will probably also need sway bar extensions front and rear.

A hi-lift type jack is what you are referring to (Hi-Lift is a brand name, but it is now used to describe any off highway use jack). As for a winch, that is an expensive purchase, and not always necessary around here. If I were you I would look into getting some tow points on the front and rear first, and worry about a winch later. Plus as long as you don't wheel alone, a buddy should be able to pull you out of anywhere you would need a winch.

Soft 8's are a model of Cragar wheels (that is what I have on my ZJ)

FWIW, you can run 32's on 3.5 inches of lift, and on short arms, the lower the lift the better the ride, so that might factor into your decision considering it is a DD.

Soft 8's are wheels.
awww.pacerwheels.com_shared_images_wheels_pacer_297b_200.gif

Sounds like a solid plan anything over 4.5" with a ZJ and you will just about need long arms.

I have a 96 ZJ with similar drivetrain. I'm planning on trimming it alittle and running 33's with a 4.5"lift. The biggest problem drivetrain wise is the rear axle the c-clip Dana 35 is not very strong. I would also recommend regearing the axles with at least a set of 4.10s to prevent your transmission from hunting for gears as much.

Look for a really good bumper to mount the winch on.

i didnt look at your post about a lift but here is my opinion if a good trail/dd zj. 4" rough country lift (the new kits now have decent arms with johny joints)and their is no need to use the supplied t-case drop you can correct your pinion angle with the links,aussie lockers front and rear,95-up explorer 8.8 rear axle,4.56 gears,diff covers,t-case skid,gas tank skid,3/16 plates welded to front lower control arm mounts to act as skids,hd tierod,and a set of 33's. im giving this list from personal experince. i was happy with this combo and wish i had stayed with it.

rock sliders, front and rear bumper protection (i.e. some sort of trail ready style bumper to take some abuse)

When shopping for control arms, look at ironman4x4fab. I found the arms on ebay and it turned out he was based out of Concord. He makes fully adjustable control arms for TJ's ZJ's and XJ's as well as adjustable trackbars. The kicker is he started this shop and makes these arms full time now, and charges 1/2 of Rubicon Express, Currie, Teraflex, or any other. You can also go to his shop and pick them up, saving on shipping. I just bought lowers and rear uppers and they are rock solid.

If you're looking to do this on a budget... I've read that you can swap the stock ZJ front springs to the rear, and replace the fronts with some aftermarket lift springs. Supposedly you can get 3.5" to 4" of lift doing this. Click Here to read more.

Back