ZJ/XJ factory roof rail clamps?

Yoothgeye

I have a '93 ZJ with the stock roof rails and cross bars. I have a roof basket to mount, but don't want to use the stock cross bars (wobbly and too high). I have seen where aftermarket kits have some sort of clamp or something that attaches to the factory roof rails, but I haven't seen any for sale and no designs to make my own.

Anyone have any plans for some, or where to buy some that are pretty tough that I can bolt to or weld to? Thanks.

Kevins Offroad might sell you some. Basically, he takes two pieces of cut down angle and uses one to hook to the roof rails and inverts the other on top bolted together to securely clamp to the roof rail. You would attach your roof rack to the top piece of angle however you see fit. Or just make your own.
akevinsoffroad.com_images_installimages_a_20002_small.jpg

Based on that photo it looks like it's actually cut down channel, but unless you put a bar between the left and right side as you tightened up it would be hard to get it level without the exact measurement as a stop. I went out and looked at my stock rails and there isn't much to "grab" onto, but I'm willing to give it a try, I bet as long as it bites good it'll be strong.

clampy.jpg

Drew this "design" based on the photo and looking at my rails.

It is channel, I had to get back to work at the time and had the ol brain - finger disconnect when I typed it.:shaking:

It will hold just fine. I have his roof tire carrier and have actually caught it on a limb and it stopped me without tearing up the rails or the carrier.
100_4657.jpg
[/IMG]

100_4656.jpg
[/IMG]

100_4655.jpg
[/IMG]

Back