Any you guys/gals do Yoga?

Cherokeekid88

Looking to surprise my wife and sign her up for some yoga classes. I think she really needs a stress reliever in her life and something to do after work that is her own thing. She also has UC, so I think this would be a great way to get some stress out, get some exercise, curb symptoms, lessen the amount of flare ups and have some time away from work and home, and who knows maybe a little something in it for me :) but seriously, am just reaching out to see if anyone who does Yoga can give me some guidance on how it has helped you or any tips you can give me when looking for a studio(?)

My wife does Yoga at home, if you are going to buy a class, buy something that is a bit more exercise "fusion". She likes the Yoba (yoga/barre) classes.
Yoga was all the rage, then Barre, then yoga Barre, aerial silk and pole exercise classes are also a mixture of experience and exercise. I would err on the side of experience related options than a straight line "gym" option.

My wife does Yoga at home, if you are going to buy a class, buy something that is a bit more exercise "fusion". She likes the Yoba (yoga/barre) classes.
Yoga was all the rage, then Barre, then yoga Barre, aerial silk and pole exercise classes are also a mixture of experience and exercise. I would err on the side of experience related options than a straight line "gym" option.
I thought about her doing it at home, but there is no way she would keep up with it, plus I think her having something to do 2-3 times a week or how ever often you do yoga would be really good for her.....which brings me to my next question... for a beginner, what type of yoga and how many classes per week would be advisable to start off with?

Iyengar yoga is more of the restorative health and wellness version, I think. As far as classes, that's a good place to start if she isn't really familiar with poses or fundamentals of the practice. A once a week class might run 9-12 weeks.

Iyengar yoga is more of the restorative health and wellness version, I think. As far as classes, that's a good place to start if she isn't really familiar with poses or fundamentals of the practice. A once a week class might run 9-12 weeks.
This would be perfect! This is the type of info I am looking for.

This would be perfect! This is the type of info I am looking for.
Look around at studios near you, the class description may say 'gentle' or 'restorative', not just beginner. You may need to look at the staff/instructors' info to see if they mention anything about BKS Iyengar, who founded the style. Nothing wrong with other styles, but it's a great foundation.

Look around at studios near you, the class description may say 'gentle' or 'restorative', not just beginner. You may need to look at the staff/instructors' info to see if they mention anything about BKS Iyengar, who founded the style. Nothing wrong with other styles, but it's a great foundation.
Thank you very much for the info. I really think this is something that will help her and I feel like If I take charge and get everything in place, she will do it. I have found two places near her work that she could easily get to right after work.

😆

Yoga, at least the 'restorative' style, is at least more like a spa treatment or massage than an exercise class.

Before Covid, they used to have classes at my work . I always thought yoga was just for women, but some of my lifting buddies at the gym went regularly and said it really helped them. They are all in the their 40's and 50's which seems to be when the body begins to deteriorate and stiffen up. Now that I am in my late 40's, and stiff as crap, I have been thinking about doing some kind of stretching stuff like yoga. I have always been very inflexible, and it has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I injured my shoulder a couple of days ago playing badminton, LOL. I think I moved it beyond its normal (limited) range of motion trying to hit the birdie.

Yoga is absolutely amazing, especially for those that lift weights! We attended 2x/week at our crossfit gym - it was great for recovery, flexibility, & stress relief. In fact, I probably need to practice more regularly...

I think that's an extremely thoughtful gift idea that she'll really appreciate! We have a couple of studios with different levels of classes available. Even one of the breweries has offered classes & you get a beer at the end of class 🍺

I’ve always enjoyed yoga…couldn’t really tell you anything about it…but going back to college ball, some days as warm up/cool down during spring/summer practice, we’d do one type for core exercises one day…another type for stretch another day…then another day would straight up kick your ass. These days, as part of bed time routine, I do this every night with the girls:

2057811A-8F43-4972-AC00-3BEE1ABAB018.jpeg

Between a new baby last November and all the back/neck/shoulder aches that come from sleeping with and carrying a baby around and then falling hard while skiing last January, yoga definitely helped me heal and get back to feeling normal.

Link to something basic that's pretty easy to follow:

Moving your joints through their range of motion is critical, so get after it.

Well if you're wife had some sort of auto immune disease and this was a good way for her to get the exercise she needs and stress relief she needs to stay healthy, I think it would be very much appreciated.
I think it’s a very thoughtful gift.
I think the sentiment vortec was aiming at (besides a great laugh) was - if she has expressed interest in something of the nature or need for exercise it’s a great gift.

If she’s never mentioned it…it could come off as an innuendo that you think she needs to improve for you.

I think the key is in the delivery. Y’all seem (based solely on your posts) to know each other well and should have no problem.

But I’m reminded of the Mother’s Day fight at my house where I bought my wife a 6month subscription (for lack of a better term) to a home cleaning/maid service… and that turned into …oh you don’t think I do a good enough job of cleaning the house - waterworks…. I thought I was relieving a stressor from her in a difficult time and she took it as an insult.

I’ve always enjoyed yoga…
NOW it's clear what all that grunting and weezing was all about after lights out at the ranch.

I had just assumed you and Clay were in there playing tummy sticks :D

NOW it's clear what all that grunting and weezing was all about after lights out at the ranch.

I had just assumed you and Clay were in there playing tummy sticks :D

I'm not saying that didn't happen, but I understand how those noises could be confused.

I just started a week or so ago...
YouTube works best...
My hip/low back are all out of wack [from my hips getting new again]
Believe me to helps.
Forgot to add:

Last edited:
If I signed my wife up for yoga/spin/barre/whatever she would be absolutely thrilled. I say go for it. If she’s interested in yoga go to a studio that’s close to the house and ask them about classes for whatever her skill set is and whatever fits y’all’s schedule.

I'd love to be there to hear the Mrs ask you why you felt the need to sign her up for a fitness class :lol:
I am looking for ways to help my wife out. She's been through a good amount in the last 2 years with being furloughed from her job during covid, to her mom almost dying, then going into a flare up with her UC and then ending up at the ER 2 weeks ago because she thought she had covid, so she's been a little stressed out to say the least and for anyone who has UC or knows anyone who has UC, Stress is usually the number one cause of a flare up. So I am trying to research and talk to other people to find something that can help her go into and stay in remission and the topic that always comes up is Yoga/Exercise. She's done the whole cardio thing and while it helped her, I think she needs something a bit more subtle which is why I figure a beginner Yoga class would not only help her physically, but mentally as well.

Sometimes people do things for people out of the goodness of their heart and because they truly believe it will help this person.

Back