Gladiator Mojave vs Rubicon

shelby27604

If you are following my new daily thread.....the wife and I are shopping for a new daily.......Tacoma was at the front of the pack BUT all the Toyota dealer "know what they got" and getting what we want isn't going to happen unfortunately.....availability is LOW, but the mark-ups are absolutely crazy, and I suspect if I find a dealer that will play ball and put down a deposit, I probably won't get the truck I want before the 2024 (Gen 4) Tacoma drops....and I don't want a first year of a new generation anything.

The wife and I test drove a Sport and Mojave Trimmed Gladiator today....she fell in love with the ride of the Mojave. Has anyone racked up some seat time in both the Rubicon and the Mojave? The suspension on the Mojave was awesome, soaked up bumps, smooth ride, stopped great, you name it. Oddly enough, the Sport, on AT road tires was a rougher ride and louder ride than the Mojave.

My brain says keep looking for the Rubicon (4:1 transfer case, front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, and Aluminum Knuckles), BUT the Mojave comes with Cast Iron steering knuckles, 2.72:1 transfer, a rear locker only (that works in 4HI) and Fox remote reservoir shocks.

I already have an LJR and our current excursion vehicle an XJ has 2.72 transfer, 3.08 gears, and AT tires and it goes EVERYWHERE we need to go for our hiking excursions....so I am not concerned about capabilities.

Thoughts, options, good info. to share?

Buy the cheaper one, and get a good set of aftermarket shocks. I bought the willys trim, seemed a good compromise of options if you don't need the 4:1 or lockers. But does come with a limited slip rear.

Also Tri-city Jeep in Eden allowed me to order what I wanted and get it well below invoice.

Last edited:
As many know, I just went thru what you are going thru. I looked at the Taco's and could cut a deal on a SR5 but nothing on the TRD Offroad. It rode like crap and didn't really have any back seat leg room.

So on to the Gladiator. I have spent plenty of seat time in a Rubicon and some time in the Mojave. My issues with the Mojave are that it's missing the sway bar disconnect, 4:1 transfer case and a front locker. Costs as much as the Rubicon and the Fox Ressie shocks are only good for 65K or so and are expensive to replace. Accessories can be hard to get, a lot of them are labeled not for the Mojave. It does ride very well, had some frame reinforcement and cool looking hood. The Rubicon also rides well, the Mojave does excel at high speed bumpy roads but on the highway, I feel it's a draw. Add in a Tazer Mini, the Rubicon can have lockers in 4 Hi.

Both Jim Smith and myself went for the Rubicon. He has had his for close to 3 years, I have had mine for less than a week. Neither of us regret going with the Rubicon.

Travis @ Tri City Jeep can do a minimum of 6% off of invoice and can stack discounts. Note that the new incentive, Employee pricing cannot be stacked, so I would talk to Travis and see what is the best deal he can put together if you are going to order one.

I have a buddy that's looking to get rid of a Gladiator Rubicon with a 6 speed. Already on 37s.

I also bought my Gladiator Rubicon from Travis at Tri City. Very fair and straight forward to deal with. I have 35k miles on mine and have been out to Utah and Colorado with it twice. It rides very well and makes decent mileage as its a diesel. Killer power vs the gasser , but maintenance is much higher with the filters and required oil . Seems like the Balljoints die early , mine died at 28K but no other issues.

I'm on my 2nd JT Rubicon. I have driven the Mojave more than a couple times. I get the smoother ride but I couldn't pass up the extras you get with the Rubicon. Way more likely to be climbing rocks versus running the dunes However I do love the Mojave hood

Back