Measuring Pushrod Length

orange150

What’s your method to measure pushrod length with hydraulic roller lifters?

There seems to be a slew of methods, I just need to pick one and roll with it.
FWIW, my heads are already fully assembled

Measure the length to zero lash, which is tougher on an LS because there's not much room, and then add in the desired amount of pre-load.

My cam guy says .060 to .080".

FWIW, milling a big ass chunk out of the corner of the head like they did would certainly help 🤣

Measure the length to zero lash, which is tougher on an LS because there's not much room, and then add in the desired amount of pre-load.

My cam guy says .060 to .080".

FWIW, milling a big ass chunk out of the corner of the head like they did would certainly help 🤣
No worries about the lifter being either fully collapsed or filled?

There's a spring inside them that holds the cup and plunger at the top of the bore. Just make sure that whichever cam lobe you're measuring has the lifter on the base circle of the cam. I feel like that's common sense, but is worth saying.

Obviously, soak all the lifters in oil overnight (prior to final install) to avoid a super noisy, dry start.

20151031_204811_a717d569f598954495fff74589562470dfe05021.jpg

Related(?)

Best way to deal with an alignment pin that’s too big?
I can’t quite figure out what’s going on here. It looks like the machine shop installed a piece of pipe where the dowel was? But the OD is slightly too big for the heads (I tried both to be sure), and the ID is too tight for the head bolts.
I can just drill out the ID (and probably ruin the threads 😂), should I just take the file to the OD?
You can see the witness marks in the photos.

IMG_0686.jpeg
IMG_0687.jpeg
IMG_0688.jpeg

They certainly don't look right. The stock ones will have a gap when installed and those definitely look thicker. I can see the split in them though.

I'd just snatch those out and get some different ones.

There's a zoomed in screenshot from when I was putting my motor together many years ago.

Screenshot_20240205_031010_Gallery.jpg

Oooh...that would definitely piss me off!

I'd replace it. Or go back to the machine shop and make them get me the proper one, since they effed up.

What in the world are you putting together? It seems like it has been a royal nightmare.

Heads on and torqued down. The guy in Easly SC who’s been helping me out has a full set of rocker studs he’s going to throw in when he mails me the timing chain cover assembly he’s put together for me.
Should get that in about a week.

IMG_0824.jpeg
IMG_0826.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright. After much head scratching, scotch drinking, and engine rotating we landed on 7.050”. VGG method set the tip way too far forward, I don’t know if it has to do with the trunion design of these Harland sharps or what. But the swipe mark is looks pretty good after two full rotations

IMG_1007.jpeg

Last edited:
Back