Random Thoughts.....

In 2018, we were having a family reunion at Myrtle Beach State Park. Airshow was at the airport a couple of miles away. Still a good show over at the beach.

DSC_3559.jpg

DSC_3606.jpg

(more random opinion)
Formula One Drifting?
A waste of well built cars, horsepower, and money.

I can't really get the gist of what's going on. To be fair I haven't tried. Other than obnoxious tire smoke for the sake of sliding a well built machine around a circuit I barely get the excitement. It takes a fair amount of talent I get that part, but would these cars be just as exciting to cut loose and actually race the same courses?

Smoke and noise is all I see.

Smoke and noise is all I see.
Similar opinion:
Harley Davidson, The most effective machine at turning gas into noise. without the side effect of horsepower.

It's always something isn't it?...
They tried that in the first Matrix. Didn't take. We humans thrive on misery. Whole crops were lost because we couldn't accept a perfect world....

šŸ˜Ž

They tried that in the first Matrix. Didn't take. We humans thrive on misery. Whole crops were lost because we couldn't accept a perfect world....

šŸ˜Ž

Ever see the movie Idiocracy?
That's probably closer to our future than we think.
Why? Because it' got electrolytes in it!

Ever see the movie Idiocracy?
That's probably closer to our future than we think.
Why? Because it' got electrolytes in it!
Posted that very thought 4 days ago

Screenshot_20240415-200941.png

Why is it that you pretty much have to change jobs now a days to get any kind of sizeable pay raise?
Its like the cable companies with their intro rates. No reward for good customers who paid their bills the past 20 years.

would you pay someone more for the same amount of work?

if you have an increased work load, then ask for the raise!
If you want to retain that labour that you are invested in training, investing in learning and understanding your business, in the skills they have developed to do the job for the business and not get out paced by the competition. yes. It's not always just about workload, but that is a factor.

I'm about to loose valuable skilled labour that I CAN NOT find on the street corner. All because the business won't recognise what it's going to cost them to replace these heads. What would cost me $1-2K annual per person to retain them, is going to cost me $5-10K+ per person annually to replace. All because of $0.50-$1.00/hr.

So ya. Ya I would.

would you pay someone more for the same amount of work?

if you have an increased work load, then ask for the raise!
A large part of salary was based on bonuses roughly 20-25% of my income. They did away with them due to the guys that were at the bottom never strived to get them and increased production, while the tops guys maxed out everything every time. Additionally I've taken on my tasks and roles within the company.

Im not out here saying im not replaceable because everyone is at a company but to have a comparable replacement in todays market is most likely going to cost them 30-40% more, not including the down time of having to train someone and someone taking over my job.

I'm seeing a lot of folks, especially my age, job hopping. In my mind, that gives you a bad rep. But that's the going trend. I've been with the company I'm at 9 years now. Much as I bitch and moan about the company, I haven't left yet. I could make more elsewhere but it would mean being on the road a lot more. I guess the other part is that they gave me my start and took the risk on some college flunkie.

The dude posted up in the ice cream truck at a job site on a hot day is a genius.

I'm seeing a lot of folks, especially my age, job hopping. In my mind, that gives you a bad rep. But that's the going trend. I've been with the company I'm at 9 years now. Much as I bitch and moan about the company, I haven't left yet. I could make more elsewhere but it would mean being on the road a lot more. I guess the other part is that they gave me my start and took the risk on some college flunkie.
first job i had in my professional career i took outta college worked there 6 years, when i left i increased my salary by 70%. If i take the job i have been offered, it is a 60% increase from my second job, ive been at my current job for two years. I knew i was under paid at my first job but damn i can increase my pay over two and half years by 130% something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
I always advise - you never get back the money you leave on the table coming in the door.

However I also believe in rewarding and correcting pay.
I hired a guy back in November for a very entry position at $20/hr. Bumped him to $25 last week because he's outperforming my highest expectations and has made my life better.

But - that was a struggle internally to get that raise level approved.
Same week I was negotiating to bring on a different more senior role and really like the guy. He wanted $20k/yr more than we had allocated for the role...same people pushing back on $5/hr...didnt blink when I said I was paying $20k more per...

I'm way behind then. Been at the same place for 17 years. Coworker sent an in house article the other day about an employee that's been here 50 years o_O
I've been at the same place for 14 years. I have had other offers, but when you calculate what they match for 401k, Health Insurance, stock rewards EVERY year, fed holidays off, 26 days of PTO and about to go to 30 days next year, plus I'm home every night and weekend with my family. Its hard to find all that.

I've been at the same place for 14 years. I have had other offers, but when you calculate what they match for 401k, Health Insurance, stock rewards EVERY year, fed holidays off, 26 days of PTO and about to go to 30 days next year, plus I'm home every night and weekend with my family. Its hard to find all that.
Yall hiring?

Back