1976 Ford F-250 4x4 Crew Cab Cummins

Msperlazza

This has been a long time coming, but I have finally broken ground. For years (since high school), I have wanted to buy/build a dent side crew cab, but never had any luck finding a decent one to buy. On my 24th birthday, my brother called me and told me to come outside to see my gift. Not only did he buy me a 76 crew cab, but he managed to find a factory high boy 4x4 with a dana 60 front. Unfortunately, it has been a little over a year since he bought me the truck and I am just starting to get my hands dirty. Although I haven't been able to get much done on the truck I have been able to collect some parts (will list below).

Truck Specs (vague and going off memory, will update later):
390/360 Engine (was told 390, but who knows)
4 Speed Trans
Divorced Tcase
Low Pinion Dana 60 front
Dana 60 Rear (?)
Service/Utility bed

Available Parts:
Full 1994 dodge 2500 Cummins, automatic, 2wd truck.
Two Eaton manual transmissions, one 5 speed and one 6 speed (out of freightliner FL60s)
NV4500 2wd transmission out of a mid-90s 1 ton Chevy (need to confirm usable with new input shaft?)

Plans:
If there is one thing I know about these plans, it is that they are likely to change as I get further into the project. Without having it apart and seeing how much room I have to work with, my initial thoughts are to use the Cummins out of the 94 dodge with the 6 speed Eaton behind it. If possible, I would like to keep the transfer case in it's stock location, but unsure how much room that leaves. Replace the service body with a short bed.

First, the body will come off the frame and I will spend some time fitting and mounting the motor/trans. Once they are mounted, set the cab back on and get the front clip back together and figure out radiator, intercooler, etc. Once I am confident the body can be set back on without any other (major) modifications it will be sent for body work/paint, and I will blast/paint the frame.

Advantages:
Full shop with any tool necessary; vehicle lift, plasma cutter, welders, forklifts, engine stand, etc.
Basic mechanical knowledge (have done engine swaps etc. before)

Disadvantages:
This is my first build of this caliber, and it will take me some time to figure things out
Lack of electrical/wiring skills

DISCLAIMER: This project is JUST starting and will take a long time. I have a lot of other obligations that could potentially get in the way (lets hope not).

Last edited:
:bounce: This gonna be GOOD!!

Ohhhhh my... This should be sweet! My suggestion is going with a welder bed or a cross between one of those sick ass hay beds and a welder bed. If you are wanting to do a sweet ass tow/recovery vehicle I would go that route. If you start with most of the shit you want, you can build it into the bed so everything has a place. One of those hay beds had 60-80 gallons of fuel capacity in the headache rack. It was really a slick idea. There is a metric shit ton of things you could do here. Bonus if you put in a duelly rear end

Also, what axle gears do you have? What is the 6 speed gear ratios and what size tires do you plan on running?

Looking forward to the pictures..... Did the 76 highboy have a LP 60?

Looking forward to the build. I haven’t heard of anyone that wished they didn’t do it. If you need any help, feel free to join my advanced wrenching group...just give me heads up, there’s an entrance exam...don't pass, don't get in...but I can pull some strings, haha.

9B306918-7187-4E1C-9D68-5CCD56254BB9.png

Dave kind of pioneered these Fummins builds 20 years ago...
91C00A0E-8B61-44BA-A572-AF92A1D23753.jpeg

And he’s doing another now.
8DFD2B8D-8B7A-46E8-8744-0A559C294DEA.jpeg

Scott just finished a total Fummins restoration...
987F0926-2FE5-4488-AA42-E0C7F03FE4CF.jpeg

Brad did a Fummins restoration and is turning it in to a pre-runner now...
1310F9FB-19B6-4155-9804-BAD2030130F0.jpeg

27DD805F-0D03-4DB7-9B60-1153428C2640.jpeg

3BB29272-04DC-4B86-8768-559421CEEA46.jpeg

And Joel is freshening his up after a decade of use...
2DA1787E-ED33-48E4-9E64-4FA51CE73D8F.jpeg

And then several others that have done it in different style rigs.

Looking forward to the build. I haven’t heard of anyone that wished they didn’t do it. If you need any help, feel free to join my advanced wrenching group...just give me heads up, there’s an entrance exam...don't pass, don't get in...but I can pull some strings, haha.

View attachment 269389

Dave kind of pioneered these Fummins builds 20 years ago...
View attachment 269390

And he’s doing another now.
View attachment 269391

Scott just finished a total Fummins restoration...
View attachment 269392

Brad did a Fummins restoration and is turning it in to a pre-runner now...
View attachment 269394
View attachment 269395
View attachment 269393

And Joel is freshening his up after a decade of use...
View attachment 269396

And then several others that have done it in different style rigs.

I think I just had “a moment”

Wow, all of those trucks you posted UTfball86 are pure motivation.

I have added some pictures the best I know how. Maybe someone can help me out with a better way to attach them. Only progress I have made is removing the cummins out of the 94 dodge 2500.

The only thing that I wish I had done in my CUCV is used an automatic instead of a 5 speed. The 5 speed is fun, but an automatic would be more better for me.

@Msperlazza download the Tapatalk app. It makes uploading photos wayyy easier. I mainly just use the mobile site from my browser but I use Tapatalk if I want to add a pic quickly or if I want to post multiple pics.

Back