CDL Licensing Process Guide, Post Feb, 7th 2022 ELDT Changes

Darkbloodmon

Just wanted to do a quick write up of the process I went through to help anyone else looking to make sense of it. I'll be explaining the process for getting your CDL A, TWIC card, Hazmat, and Tanker Endorsement.

Big thanks to @skyhighZJ for his help, advise and letting me rattle of questions.

As far as the order I went through, I got my CDL A, TWIC then my endorsements Haz/Tank. Ideally it's better to make as few trips to the DMV as possible.

1. First up is getting your CDL A, post the ELDT changes last year February you must now go to an accredited school to take a course that will give your class time, yard and road time. Lots of schools have popped up with varying prices, the cheaper schools are cheap for a reason. The point of going through the program is to get your ELDT Certificate ( a requirement) for your CDL. They are teaching the test. It's HIGHLY recommended that before you enroll in any school that you obtain your learners permit first for Class A, Its a general knowledge and air brakes test from memory. You WILL need to have held this permit for 14 days PRIOR to taking your CDL License Skills test. That's regulation across the board at any school. If you go into a school before getting your permit it will take you longer to be eligible for testing.

I went to the CL driving school off old Statesville Rd. In Charlotte, they also have an Indian Trail Location. The course was $5K, I highly recommend it as I had excellent instructors and felt I got my moneys worth. They provide you with a well written text book for their course with helpful guides.

The school will also get you your DOT physical and Med Card if you don't already have it. I recommend having it in advance because you will not be able to start road practice without it and your permit physically in hand.

My school had a certified examiner for the CLD Skill test as an instructor who sent our scores into the DMV same day we passed. Not every school may have a certified examiner and may out source or have you go to a third party tester for your CDL Skill test; i.e. cheaper schools.

2. After getting your CDL If you are interested in Hazmat, Tanker and TWIC, I recommend starting with your TWIC. You will need to submit an application on the TSA website
to get started on the background check, you will then need to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. Appointment dates can be far out so while you're waiting you need to go ahead and take the ELDT Hazmat theories online course, and study for the DMV Hazmat and Tanker tests (CDL Prep App). The ELDT Haz course is required for your Haz endorsement. There are multiple online courses, from varying companies/ institutions and prices; the key part is you need to select one that is Accredited. This is the Haz Theories course I used. After completing the course they will send in your HAZ ELDT certification to the DMV.

3. After you've had your prints taken for the TWIC card wait till you get it and the Pin number in the mail. You will now need to submit an application on the same TSA website for your hazmat endorsement. This is critical, since you now have a TWIC card you can use the background check it required for your Hazmat application on the TSA website, allowing you to only need one background check (saves time), and allowing you to have a reduced application rate(saves money) for your Hazmat endorsement, not to mention you have the option of linking your soon to come Haz CDL endorsement expiration date(5yrs) with your TWIC card expiration date. After you complete your Haz endorsement application on the TSA website you will receive email updates/text updates on your application status, Wait for it to be approved, then wait one or two business days so that the DMV's system has all your information updated, locked and loaded.

4. At this point you should have your CDL A along side its ELDT certificate(You get a physical copy from your CDL School and they send the digital to the DMV), Your TWIC card and pin, Hazmat ELDT Certificate (digitally sent to DMV), and an approved Hazmat endorsement application in the DMVs system (Electronically sent from TSA)

When you are ready to test go to your DMV, I suggest being there as early as possible to be in an out, you can also schedule an appointment online. Test for your Hazmat and Tanker, After passing the tests you will be issued your temp paper license with both endorsements.

Congratulations you now have a CDL A with the X endorsement, and a TWIC card. It goes without saying that you need to protect these licensees and IDs. Both physically and legally, don't do anything stupid that would cause you to loose or suspend your CDL license, or have your TWIC card revoked. BAC limit for CDL holders is .04

As im writing this I'm waiting for my updated CLD A license to come in the mail after passing my DMV tests this past Monday. Hope this guide helps someone out, Let me know if you have any points that need clarification, Safe Travels and watch out for the two legged idiots.

@Darkbloodmon very well written and laid out details to success!! You’re more than welcome for what little I offered from my personal experience. Good luck moving forward and for those interested I would say that he cracked it. I will also say I have no idea how “grandfathered” CDL’s move forward in the system or “integrate” their existing CDL to add endorsements.
From what I’m seeing right now the money stacks up like this:

(Lowest to highest)

No touch freight vans
Flatbed
Any sort of bulk tank (non-haz)
Haz
Haz-tank
Specialty Haz (gonna need experience to get in)

Local (home every night) is totally hit or miss depending on the company and what you’re hauling.
95% local Haz/tanks are hiring experience not the license alone.

There is A LOT of volatility right now as all the Covid companies are getting weeded out with increasing freight rates and fuel prices.

Recruiters for companies are ruthless and will whistle Dixie up your ass to come drive but a lot of times it is fairy dust and unicorn farts (do your homework!!!!)

Good luck and have fun! The road is a great place to make money if you can get in with a good company!!

Damn, now I'm kind of wishing I would've jumped at the opportunity to get my CDL a couple years ago.
I have no desire to pull tankers or do any hazmat work; if I did wind up driving I'd probably just stick to pulling buckets or hoppers; maybe equipment locally.

Hopefully someday it won't just be a pipe dream, but with my current situation I fear it won't happen.

I'm going to add some things in here. As a broker and dispatcher and years of being involved in trucking there are few things that might be of interest. Refer rates are above Van and close to that of flatbeds. I highly recommend getting the TWIC from the get go. TWIC is required to load or unload in ports, military bases and I believe prisons. Tanker endorsement. With companies shipping things in totes now days a load of totes in a van depending on quantity will trigger tanker endorsement.

I'm going to add some things in here. As a broker and dispatcher and years of being involved in trucking there are few things that might be of interest. Refer rates are above Van and close to that of flatbeds. I highly recommend getting the TWIC from the get go. TWIC is required to load or unload in ports, military bases and I believe prisons. Tanker endorsement. With companies shipping things in totes now days a load of totes in a van depending on quantity will trigger tanker endorsement.
Any commercial bulk over 1,000 gallons = tank endorsement.

We recieve a lot of haz mat bulk tanker deliveries at our plant. During Covid some of our vendors started outsourcing the deliveries to schneider, I wasn't even aware that they pulled haz mat. Their tanker driver's skills match that of their van trailer drivers, if your looking to pull haz mat and need experience, I would imagine that they aren't a bad place to get it.

Back