HELP! Injectors not firing

LKQSJH

I am trying to get an 87 4 Runner to run so I can buy it. I told the guy that owns it if I hear it run, I will take it. I am getting fuel in the rail, but the injectors are not spraying. I don't have an owners manual or service manual for the vehicle but I am thinking its prob. something simple like a relay or fuse, but I don't know which ones to check. Also, what is the sensor or switch where the hard line comes up off the fuel rail and runs into the intake?

CHECK ALL FUSES, on the '87 it can be under hood or under dash, depends on production date. EFI fuse more than likely, but check grounds as well, one group on the intake, a few on body and engine.

You may want to pull passenger kick panel and see if all the ECM connectors are locked in place and no corrosion. Low probability of problem here.
Fuse is the likely culprit. Driver side near where your left knee would be seating.
Some older models have circuit breakers that can be reset with a straight paper clip wire. Don't know if ECM uses breakers. Metal, silver color, gizmo with small hole in end. Push paper clip in to reset.
Look for a blown fuse and replace it. :popcorn: :beer:

Not sure about the yota stuff but I know on the GM stuff, the ECM needs to get a signal from the ignition that says everythings right to send in the fuel or else the injectors wont fire........maybe you can get a book or google some wiring diagrams........:huggy:

Not sure about the yota stuff but I know on the GM stuff, the ECM needs to get a signal from the ignition that says everythings right to send in the fuel or else the injectors wont fire........maybe you can get a book or google some wiring diagrams........:huggy:

Similar in the yota......there is an ignition module in the distributor, if I'm not mistaken, it tells the injectors to fire. I think they run around $30. You have to set the proper gap when reinstalling......don't use metal feeler gauges.

before diagnosing this issue, I'd take about 1/8c gas and pour it in throttle body. crank it and see if she runs for a few seconds. then you'll know if thats the only problem. no need in diag. someone elses problems if not sure you're gonna get it!

how do you know injectors aren't firing?

hard line going up is cold start injector feed line.

there is a circuit opening relay that is the relay for a few things it a black relay that is on the passenger side pull the lower kick panel and look up there should be two relays one which is usually blue or green is for wiper controls and the other is the circuit opening relay. i believe circuit opening relay also controls fuel pump. so see if you can hear fuel pump running. when you trun key to on. if you can get it to start and run with starting fluid then it is in that relay or ignition. if it starts on ether and dies another problem. if it won't start on starting fluid look for no spark condition.

before diagnosing this issue, I'd take about 1/8c gas and pour it in throttle body. crank it and see if she runs for a few seconds. then you'll know if thats the only problem. no need in diag. someone elses problems if not sure you're gonna get it!
Good Idea! Or you could just take a can of carb cleaner with you and spray it into the intake boot while someone cranks it. You'll have to keep the boot attached or the air meter won't move so just kinda pry it open at a joint a little and stick the straw in there.

Send me a PM I've got the diagrams saved for you give me your email and I'll send them to you.

Back